2009 Memories

Thursday, December 31, 2009

I once read somewhere that we do not remember time as a continuum but as a series of events.

I think that explains why a year can feel like it dragged on or why it flew by, depending on what the happenings of that year was.

Looking back over this past year's events, my memory draws on what I wrote one year ago, in this blog entry about the most eventful year of our adult lives, 2008. We were faced with so much unfamiliarity. It was a new journey when our consciousness of what was around us and going on inside of us, was so vivid and intense. We were completely aware of the time that passed us by. That would probably explain why 2008 was a year that dragged on for us.

On New Year's Eve of 2008, I said a prayer that 2009 would be a year of fewer moves, fewer doctor appointments, financial stability, and new friendships.

Every single one of those came true in 2009!

How do I begin to express my heart and how that makes me feel?

I cherish these gifts all the more because of the rough edges we experienced when not having these things. It's funny how, when we're in the midst of a storm, we beg for it stop, and when it does, the perspective we gained while living in that storm, makes all the difference to produce a happy life. We discover all of our senses are more keen to enjoy life in such an active way that we could have never done so without the chiseling of that storm.

I feel the intensity of the preciousness of Cayman's life more because I also experienced what it's like to grieve the loss of her.

I feel the blessedness of having a home of our home more because I experienced the unsettledness of seven moves within five years.

I feel the comfort of a stable income even more after knowing what it is like to wonder where next month's income will come from.

I cherish the fact that Mike has a short 2 mile drive to work and is home everyday for lunch. For his last job, he traveled an hour each way, and his job before that one worked him 70 hours a week and still demanded more.

I appreciate settling near our families after living three years apart from them and missing out on so many of their get togethers.

I have learned something about reality and that is, perspective is everything. And my perspective today is, I am living my dream life!!

After surviving so many rough times, I do not forget very easily to take the time to appreciate life’s beautiful moments. And boy, 2009 was full of them!!

Here is a list of our top 9 generated memories for '09:

1. Buying and moving into our house. Click here. {March}

2. Cayman's first birthday party. Click here. {March}

3. Cayman's shunt revision, which we rejoice that she has not needed another one since. Click here. {April}

4. Cayman's nursery makeover. Click here. {July}

5. Buying our dining room table. Click here. {July}

6. Lake Vacation with the Stamm family. Click here, here, here, here, here, and here.

7. Jill and Matthew's visit. Click here. {August}

8. Watching Cayman's Gross Motor skills improved: conquered sitting {September}, progress in mobility{October}, standing {October}.

9. Taking Cayman to her first Ohio State football game. Click here. {September}


2009 definitely flew by for us. It is true, time flies when you're having fun!

And let me just say, how sweet of a gift normalcy, stability, and familiarity is.

Happy New Year!!

9 Showin' Comment Love:

Cayman's Daddy said...

First (of the last)

Lisa Christine said...

This was a wonderful post Kristen.

May 2010 continue to bring many blessings to you and your family.

Lisa Christine said...

Oh look! My comment did get saved :)

Great chatting with you.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

Here's to more stability and normalcy for 2010.

Unknown said...

Your post stirred up alot of emotion in me esp. this:

"I feel the intensity of the preciousness of Cayman's life more because I also experienced what it's like to grieve the loss of her."

May God continue to bless you and your family continually!

The parents and out-laws said...

Have a blessed 2010!!!

David said...

i hear that lisa called you today!

7 moves in 5 years? no thank you!

nice post, i can tell a lot of work went into it.

David said...

oh, and i guess that you're living in a different year than me right now. How's 2010? lol

Anonymous said...

i dont know what to say other than I hope with this year (2010) we experience your 2009....if that makes sense?!
Love ya!
Valerie