In the E.R....again

Monday, April 13, 2009

Cayman did not have a very happy Easter weekend.

On Friday she started to vomit again and sleep constantly.

On Saturday she perked up a little and we were able to enjoy the day with my family. Even at best, she was quite far from her usual self. Mike and I considered all the possibilities...

still sick from the flu?..

could it be the new set of homeopathic drops the Naturopath has her on?...

is she sick with something else?...

And always, the most dreaded question....is it her shunt?

On Sunday, Cayman vomited continuously. We were unable to make it to the Stamm Family get together. We stayed home with her and fed her Pedialyte through a dropper, only a few mL's at a time, hoping to keep her hydrated, but we were not successful. Cayman vomited everything and towards the evening she refused to eat. She was asleep more than she was awake. She did not want to play, she would not smile, we could not wake her to eat, and when she was awake she stared into space. Whenever she would stare like that I would gently wave my hand in front of her face to see if she would blink. To my relief I was always able to break her stare. {I was afraid she was having seizures}. We looked at her head and noticed some changes so we decided to measure it. It was 1.5 cm larger than it was a week ago. Some of the skull bones that were overlapping now have gaps between them.

Our hearts sank as we realized...it's likely a shunt failure.

So we packed our bags and drove to Ann Arbor, arriving to the E.R. at 1 a.m.

And that is where we wait right now, to hear the final word on what our heavy hearts already know.

Cayman's happy, bright personality has disappeared. She's completely listless. She did not even cry or barely flinched during the start of her IV. That was scary for us.

We got out her most favorite toy and for the first, we saw her come to life. Her arms flung out from under the blankets to grab it and draw it close to her. And that is where it has remained. Her clutches are so tight, it would be easier to separate a mama bear from her cub.It's a rough night for Mike. Yesterday morning he woke up with a head cold. He doesn't complain much, he's so focused on his little girl, but I can tell he is feeling miserable from the cold. Please pray for him too.

I have managed to stay well...no flu or head cold *knock on wood*, however, I do have a skin rash on my face that likes to present itself whenever I am stressed. How lovely!

I think our bodies are telling us that we have had more than our share of stress this past year! It's time for a vacation!

6 Showin' Comment Love:

Jerry, Tia, Kaiden And Hunter said...

We will definately be praying for everyone...for peace of mind, health and rest! We love you guys!

Stephanie said...

so sorry her shunt is not working again. Bless her heart. I hope you all get that vacation

*Monica said...

poor baby

Sarah M said...

She looks so sad and out of it. I hate to see her that way!

Sara said...

Oh no :-( Kadyn and I will be praying for all of you!

We send hugs and love!

Audrey Sue's Mommy said...

Oh NO! I have been out of touch for almost a week. I hate hear such bad news. Although, by now, I see you guys are on your way home.

Lots of hugs and prayers for each of you are being sent your way from Audrey and me! Audrey sends kisses to Cayman too!

-- and, we have that same toy here at home, it's Audrey's favorite as well!