Tall

Friday, October 2, 2009

Months ago Mike and I had an entertaining conversation about words and how they are used in certain context. For example, a baby's body length is referred to as long and it seems that once they begin to stand up their length is then referred to as tall.

That conversation came back to me this week when my baby became tall.

At therapy Cayman stood on her feet for the first time for several minutes! Her only support was leaning against a bench in front of her. It was amazing! She looked so grown up and so tall. Her therapists and I sat there in complete awe at this milestone that came out of no where.

I had the camera nearby in the diaper bag but I was so stunned and amazed watching Cayman stand that I did not even think to take pictures. All my focus went to controlling my tears and cheering for her.

If my mind can forget about taking photos during such a moment as that, I know I was quite emotional.

At home I wanted to see if Cayman would duplicate her standing achievement.

And she did!!

Take a look at my
tall girl!

{The laptop was used as a persuasion to get her to stand up to the couch.}

I just can't believe it!! I keep standing her up to see if she'll do it again and again. Perhaps this is Cayman's way of getting me over my obsession with her sitting ability, in which I am still recovering from the shock of her newly conquering achievement in. It's been almost two weeks since she started to sit all by herself and yet I still exclaim, "Look, look!! She's sitting!!"

And now with this new accomplishment in standing I find myself staring in wide eye amazement all over again.

I think if Cayman could talk she would say, "Take a picture Mom, it lasts longer!"

Oh and believe me, I have!

21 Showin' Comment Love:

Stephanie said...

I love therapists and the miracle babies and children they help.
Cayman ,you go girl.

Unknown said...

Yay!! Go Cayman go!

Love the curls and the little pony tail on top of the head. Too cute!

Josephine said...

This is huge!!!! Good job Cayman!

Melanie said...

This is HUGE! The bursts of accelerated development are such a thrill to witness - especially when we get so used to the more "relaxed" pace our little ones usually take :) Way to go Cayman!!

Angela said...

WOW, WOW, WOW! She's not a baby...she just turned into a little girl :)

Can't wait to give her snuggles and smooches tomorrow! I've all but worn a face mask this past week to make sure I didn't get sick haha (and seriously, everyone I know is sick)

Grandma Cindy said...

Kisses and Hugs and ... Chocolate Milk .... even Ice Cream for Cayman!!!! Grandma will have it ready for you! Get your legs ready to run Mom and Dad. As soon as she figures out that walking will bring her greater adventures she will be accomplishing that too! She does looook soooo tall standing than laying on the floor. XOXOXOXOXOXO

Uncle Tyson said...

I had a feelin' it was gonna be a good day, then i read this and realized ITS A FREAKIN AWESOME DAY!!!!!!!

Robin said...

Way to go Cayman!!!!!!!!!! HUGE milestone!!!!!!

Mary said...

How exciting!!! Words can't describe how amazing it is to witness these milestones.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly the amazement you feel...Olivia is almost 9 and even now I still get tears in my eyes when I see her climb/run/talk!! It's a miracle!!

Jill S. said...

Wow Cayman!!! You are just flying!! FLYING!! I am so amazed!! You keep wowing us! We love it!

Amy J. said...

And why wouldn't she want to stand to show off those cute little pink slippers! Cayman is just full of tall miracles lately!!! I love that last photo...so sweet and yet such a big girl.

Anonymous said...

Yay! What an exciting milestone:) She looks so grown up and, you're right, tall standing at the couch. Way to go Cayman.
Lisa Osterland

Lisa Christine said...

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow! Cayman keeps blowing me away with her milestones! This is amazing. Truly amazing. And one of these days she'll be taking first steps....

So happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Great Job Cayman!!!

Sara said...

That is amazing! God Bless her!

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO, CAYMAN!!! Before you know it she will be running across the room!!

I am so excited for Cayman, Kristen & Mike!!

The James Family said...

Way to go CAYMAN!! We are so proud of you!! Soon you will be having your mommy and daddy running all over chasing you!! :) And she will be running away from all the boys chasing her!! :) We love you guys so much and enjoy getting to see Cayman doing all the things that doctors said she wouldn't!!

*Monica said...

I feel silly welling up in tears over a baby I haven't met, but man this looked great and hit my heart good!

Diane said...

Oh my goodness. How can someone so small (I mean tall) amaze you each and every day? She is absolutely amazing!!

Diane, Tyler's mom

The Donald said...

That is so awesome! She needs to talk to Elisabeth and give her a few pointers!