lake vacation: The Lake

Thursday, August 13, 2009


One of the things I enjoy about the lake is the changes it takes on throughout the day.

In the early morning, it's so calm and quiet. The only movement on the lake's water is a family of ducks slowly swimming past the dock, a single skier perfecting his tricks on the smooth, glassy water, and a couple of fishermen patiently waiting to real in their next big catch.

In just a few hours, the lake transforms into a place full of energy and life. Several boats whiz up and down, rocking the water's surface. You can hear the distant sounds of people's excited shrills as they bounce over waves in their tube, being pulled behind a boat. A cluster of Canadian geese fly overhead and you can smell the neighbor's barbecue being fired up.

Then by night, the lake has returned to its stillness again. The white glow of the moon reflects across the water's black surface. Boats move slow and the only part visible is their tiny antenna lights. The air is cooling off and the hot crackling fire is mesmerizing.

I swear, it's a little piece of Heaven on Earth!

Grandma Sue loved sitting on the deck early in the morning, sipping a warm cup of coffee, and reading a book. I heard her say, "A vacation at the lake is the only vacation where I wake up earlier than I do for work."

I, myself, don't have a work schedule, but I do have a 'Cayman' schedule, which means no sleeping in most mornings. But while on this vacation, I didn't mind! It was rewarding waking up early to experience the sunrises across the lake.

Feast your eyes on just one of the many places God paints His imagination.

SunRises


........................................................

SunSets

9 Showin' Comment Love:

Diane said...

I love your description of the lake changes. It's so true. And those pictures of the sunrise and sunset are gorgeous. I especially like the picture of Grandma Sue and Cayman...great editing!

Diane, tyler's mom

Katie said...

You NEVER cease to amaze me. I LOVE your perspective on life. ALL of it. I LOVE that you do NOT let anything rob your joy. I love that you hold, smell, touch, taste, and live in all the experiences of life. Thanks Kristen for adding such positivity to my day!

Anonymous said...

I love mornings and sunsets on the lake - so peaceful. Also I can't believe all of Caymans curls. I guess I never really noticed them until that pic of her looking at her Grandma. Too cute!
Smiles...Kasey N

Jill S. said...

LOVE these pictures!! What a fun vacation, relaxing with family in the peace and quiet of a beautiful lake. What a great vacation idea! I've loved your pictures this week!

Shannon said...

I'm just catching up on blog-reading too! What a fun vacation!
I just can't get over how curly Cayman's hair is (in the pic with Grandma)...so gorgeous. :)
And even the pictures of the lake make me feel relaxed...I'm sure the real thing was even better. :)

Lisa Christine said...

Such a lovely post. Your description had me feeling like I was there too :)

Cayman's Daddy said...

You are awesome Kristen!

Sherri said...

Gorgeous photos and I just can NOT get over Cayman's curls!!!!

Kacey Bode said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful!! But most beautiful of all, that girl of yours, and that hair, oh-my-goodness, so stinkin cute!! Glad you had a great time. Give Cayman a kiss for me!!!