New Year's Eve

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tonight's a big night!! We leave 2008 and enter 2009. This is the part where we usually exclaim, "Wow, I can't believe it's already been a whole year!"

But not this time.

2008 has been a crazy year...certainly one to be remembered...never one I want to repeat, but definitely one I will forever remember. It's hard for us to believe it's only been one year. It feels more like it's been 10 years!! There is so much that has happened.

My feelings in 2008 were: life was busy, my focus divided, my body so tired, my mind so bombarded...desperate for simplicity.

Why?

In just one year we had our mail forwarded to three different locations:

  1. forwarded from our house in Indiana to Mike's parents' (December '07 to June '08)
  2. forwarded from Mike's parents' to our apartment (June to December)
  3. forwarded from our apartment back to Mike's parents' (December to present)
  4. and when we move out of the Taj we will once again have our mail forwarded to that new address.
In just one year Cayman had 7 surgeries.

In just one year Mike got a new job, lost that job, and got another new job.

In just one year we owed over $15,000 in medical bills and travel expenses. God was very faithful. Our community pulled together and helped us out tremendously!! We are still deeply humbled and appreciative!! "Thank you, Thank you!!"

We have high hopes that 2009 will be a year of: fewer moves, fewer Dr. appointments, financial stability, and new friendships.

I leave you with a list of our 2008 memories:

January ~ We had moved in with Mike's parents a week before Christmas and we were still getting settled in. Mike had started his new job. We switched my medical care and made our first trip to Ann Arbor. I was 7 months pregnant.

February
~ I created this blog.

March
~ Cayman was born; had 2 surgeries; spent 3 weeks in the NICU.

April ~ We drove Cayman 1260 miles (round trip) to Duke University for a stem cell infusion. Cayman saw the Naturopath for the 1st time, and she had a shunt revision. Mike and I celebrated 4 years of marriage!

May ~ Cayman had another shunt revision. We accepted an offer on our house in Indiana.

June
~ We closed on our house. We moved into an apartment. Cayman had 2 shunt revisions. Aunt Betty passed away.

July
~ Cayman got her G-tube out. Mike started coaching middle school football with his brother.

August ~ My dog passed away. Cayman's benefit. Mike lost his job.

September
~ A trip to the Zoo.

October
~ Cayman had surgery to fix her Vascular Ring. I made my 1st breast milk donation to the milk bank (up to date: approx. a total of 4,100 ounces I've donated).

November
~ Mike had several job interviews. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

December
~ Mike started a new job. We moved into the Taj and remain searching for a place to live. Lots of Christmas celebrations with our families.

We pray for a very happy and safe New Year for you all!!

God bless,

Kristen

12 Showin' Comment Love:

Anonymous said...

It's been the best year of my life! :) Love you Krissy!

Shannon said...

Happy New Year, Kristen! I've enjoyed getting to know you through what you write and the pictures you share!
Praying for a blessed 2009!

Jessie said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
May this be a much more relaxed year full of blessings!
Love,
Jess

Jennifer said...

Aw, Mike's comment made me tear up! :) I've enjoyed getting to know you too, through this blog. You were a huge encouragement to me during my mom's surgery.
I can't believe you've donated over 280 gallons of breast milk. That's awesome!!! You rock! :)

Kristen said...

Jennifer-
I'm not quite as awesome as 280 gallons! If I converted it right it's only 35 gallons.

Krissy said...

Kristen, you are such an inspiration! i love your sense of humor, especially in the midst of tough situations. I hope that 2009 brings you even more joy, and hopefully less drama!

Love Krissy
(Sofia's mom)

Sherri said...

I, too am so glad this year is over! 2009 HAS to be much better :)
Can't wait to see all of that next year has in store!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I loved your reflections and think I'm going to steal the idea on my blog today! :) The first year is always so tough....and you made it!! When is Cayman's birthday, btw? My Gabe's is 3/24!!

*Monica said...

What a year!! I wish you much peace and simplicity for 2009.

Lisa Christine said...

What a year! You are an amazing family and you have gone through this year with such strength!

Happy 2009 to you my friend :)

Kristen said...

Tiffany-
Cayman's birthday is March 8th.

Mary said...

Wow what a year. It seems as if 2008 was a rollarcoaster for all. I hope we have a fresh start with 2009 and that we are all able to find our way in this journey with some peace. Here is to a great year of blogging, good health and good friends. As always thankyou for sharing yourself through your blog. You continue to amaze me with your faith and your ability to flourish under stressful times. Thanks!