All Over the Place

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

There's so many things I could write about but since I don't have a lot of time these days I'll just pick a couple....

Cayman had her last Speech Therapy appointment this week. She has taken off with eating. She gets so excited over certain foods that I can barely spoon them neatly into her mouth because she is bouncing in her high chair unable to contain her excitement. It's quite cute!!

Cayman has a new hand brace to support her thumb. You might remember this one. That one wasn't working very well for her anymore. Over time she developed a skin reaction to it. The O.T. molded this one for her now. Cayman wears it only at night. I think it looks terribly uncomfortable but Cayman doesn't seem to mind it. We're grateful for that.

I think it was nearly a month ago Cayman met with an orthopedic surgeon regarding her thumbs. If you missed the details about Cayman's thumbs you can read about it here. She had a set of X-rays done on her arms and hands. It turned up good news. The left thumb joint appears normal. The doctor that read the 1st set of x-rays when she was born thought the joint had not completely formed. The theory now is the lack of mobility in her left thumb is neurological caused from the pressure her brain was under from the hydrocephalus. The hope is through these braces and exercises she will someday gain use of her left thumb. Far as the extra bone on her right thumb, it does not seem to be causing a problem. Cayman has learned to pick up toys without that extra bump getting in her way. Removing that extra bone is an elective surgery, so it may or may not happen. For now, it's fine. The orthopedic surgeon Cayman saw is a partner to my orthopedic surgeon (Dr. Munk) I had when I broke my back when I was 12 years old.

This is Dr. Munk. I do not even begin to know how to express what a treat it was for me to see Dr. Munk and for him to meet Cayman. He is a terrific person. If he wasn't close to retiring I would have him be Cayman's doctor.

Seeing Dr. Munk that day brought back so many memories of when I was just 12 years old...

25 days in the hospital...

in a back brace for over a year...

in rehab for nearly 2 years...

I always had a strong notion that God had a purpose for it all. I envisioned that someday there would be a little girl in the hospital and I would be able to help her because of my experience. Chills came over me as the thought occured to me that perhaps that little girl is my own daughter.

It's almost poetic isn't it?

12 Showin' Comment Love:

Sherri said...

ooooh! I just got chills, too!
Great news about her left thumb, I just love anytime they use the word "normal" how about you? Sounds like she is really progressing in so many areas!You must be so proud of your little angel. I can't wait to see some photos of her in her first Christmas dress!!

Jill S. said...

Oh, that's such good news, no surgery unless absolutely needed, huh! I'm glad she's eating betting. We're trying really hard with Matthew to accomplish food too. It sure is a battle isn't it! Hope Mike is still liking his job!

Jill S. said...

Sorry better, not betting :)

Sara said...

Those pjs look familar!!!!
I am glad she is eating better, at least you got her to eat quite fast!!! Kadyn just started, thank goodness. Once I get him fitting for his chair we are going to move onto adult food!

She is getting sooooo big!!

Diane said...

I am happy to hear that Cayman is doing well and great news on the thumb. Tyler had some splints that looked exactly like those, except he didn't care for them and ended up only lasting a month or so before I said it wasn't worth him waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep. We got a different kind now that is working much better.
I had to chuckle on the comment about spooning her food in 'neatly'. I had a fetish about staying clean while eating and wiping Tyler's mouth after ech bite when he started eating but now I have relaxed somewhat and let him get a little messy every now and then. It is still hard to let go of that but I have realized to just let it happen.

Hope Mike's job is going well.

Diane, Tyler's mom

Tara said...

When I was 14 I started watching this little girl and her brothers. The girls name was Michelle. She had Autism. A bad form of it too. I used to find myself being so interested in her that I would not do my homework and I would go over to give her mom a hand with her.

I always saw myself doing something along those lines. Being a nurse or whatever it was. I was and still am so interested in the brain! It's just such a complicated organ! I love how it works in weird ways..

Well when my Michelle was born my mom pointed out to me that there was my destiny.. It was my own daughter that by fate I named her the same name and she has neurological issues. Weird huh? I had completly forgotten all about the other Michelle until my mom had brought her up.

I went and visited that family when Michelle was old enough and they were shocked to say the least to see that to this day my passion was and still is to help others no matter what.

Great news about her thumb! Michelle wore braces until she could figure out how to get them off. Did they give you the soft splint??? Michelle had a reaction to those. It took us 3 weeks to get her hands to stop bleeding. It was bad!

Hope everything is good! Hope Mike is enjoying his new job!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Cayman got her "Stamm Appetite". Good thing Daddy was home these few months to show her how it is done!
It is so awesome, when we look back in our lives, how we didn't understand some things, but God knew and prepares us years in advance for our future. He gives us a "peek" of what will be our future. He is so AWESOME!
Can't wait to see all of you at Christmas! Give Cayman a hug and kiss from her GAL.

Love Ya!

AL, GAL

Jennifer said...

I got chills, TOO! I'm not even kidding! God's way is always perfect!

Anonymous said...

Wow...that did give me chills! Also, Olivia goes to that office. She sees Dr. Buerk--he's so great with her and yummy to look at too! :) The ladies in that office are so darn sweet too...I almost look forward to it. One of the ladies works out at the same gym I do, so I see her every day!! Small world, huh?

I'm glad it's going well. I'm glad she's enjoying the eating.

I'm thinking of you as you get settled. I know that's not fun!

Beth said...

Sounds like good news all around! Cayman is just too cute!

Anonymous said...

Cayman is sooo cute!! and about your last post. Come do laundry here....but do it when mom isn't home...so i actually get to hold Cayman! haha.

Tara said...

Haha well last night the dog decided he didn't want pillows thrown at him anymore! he sept in the kitchen! Smart dog! Just thought I would share!