What a Day

Friday, October 3, 2008

What a day.

We relaxed. We walked. We talked. We took a nap. It was so peaceful.

Lies. It's all lies!!

Ok, maybe not all of it. Cayman relaxed in her stroller as we walked into her first of 3 appointments today. We talked to 3 different doctors, 4 ultrasound technicians, 3 receptionists, and one nurse. Mike had 2 phone interviews scheduled and Cayman took a nap.

I guess I only lied about the peaceful part.

So do you want to hear about our day? Of course you do. That's why you come to our blog everyday, right?

The story of today actually starts a few days ago.

Wednesday Oct 1st: Mike's phone rang. It was a recruiter presenting an interesting job opportunity to him. If a job seems to be a good fit, a phone interview is then set up with that company.

Mike walked over to the calendar to schedule a time and day for this phone interview.

We keep our lives organized and centered around a huge desk calendar that I glued magnets to the back of and stuck it on the front of the refrigerator. Mike looked at Friday (today) and said, "Yep that day is free. We don't have anything planned." So he scheduled the interview for 2:30 p.m. Shortly later, his phone rang again with a different recruiter presenting another interesting job opportunity. So Mike scheduled that phone interview for Friday (today) at 4 p.m.

Thursday afternoon: My phone rang. I answered it.

When the call was over Mike curiously asked, "Who was that?"

"It was the hospital reminding us of Cayman's 3 appointments she has tomorrow (Friday)."

Mike responded in a shocked tone, "She has appointments tomorrow!?! Where?"

I'm thinking, 'Is he joking?!'

"In Ann Arbor."

Mike's intense tone kept building, "Oh shoot. What time are the appointments?"

"11:50 a.m., 2:00 p.m., and 2:30 p.m."

In a hopeful relieved tone Mike responded, "Are you sure the appointments are for tomorrow? I looked at the calendar and that day had nothing written in it."

I assured him that the appointments were marked on the calendar. Mike was so confident that the day was free he had me questioning my own sanity. I love being organized and rarely do I miss-coordinate our appointments. We were not home at the time or we would have checked the calendar right then. As soon as we got home I rushed over to the calendar. It was driving me crazy. I flipped the page to October (it was still on September..oops) and sure enough the appointments were all there penciled in for Friday October 3rd.

Mike rushed over to see for himself. That is when we discovered he didn't flip the calendar. He was looking at September's page!

So that brings us to today (Friday): This morning I had the day planned and was ready to tackle it all!! Bring it on!! We even arrived to Cayman's first appointment 10 minutes early (11:40 a.m.).

Shame on us!

By now we should know better. The wait to see the Pediatric Surgeon can be described plain and simple...LONG!!!! We sat there for an hour and a half before Cayman's name was called. The good report is Cayman has been released from the Pediatric Surgeon's care. She's doing well and no longer needs these appointments. At 1:55 p.m. we hurried out of his office to get to the next appointment on time, which was at 2:00 p.m. The whole time we are walking down the windy hallway to the other side of the building I'm praying that the next wait won't be so long. And it wasn't. Cayman had a cranial ultrasound done and then her and I rushed off to the next appointment at 2:30 p.m. with the Neurosurgeon. Mike had left in the middle of the ultrasound to find a quiet place for his phone interview at 2:30. He sent me a text letting me know where I could find him after Cayman's last appointment.

Cayman was finally done with all her appointments at 3:15 p.m.

Cayman and I stepped onto the elevator to go find Mike on the 8th floor where the family lounge is located. Connected to the lounge is an outdoor terrace. We found Mike there still on the phone. The terrace was the most perfect spot for his interview. It was a beautiful fall day.

I waved to Mike through the glass door to signal that we were all done with Cayman's appointments. I did not want to distract him from his interview so I went back to the lounge and sat on the comfy couches. I felt exhausted. I realized I hadn't eaten in 7 hours. I didn't know how long Mike would be on the phone yet. I thought about going to the cafeteria but that was a long walk from there. Besides, it would be difficult to get the message to Mike without being distracting.

I remembered 2 floors directly below has a Family Nourishment Room. I thought maybe I could grab some grape juice and be back before Mike was done. So Cayman and I quickly set out for the 6th floor. When we got back we found Mike looking around for us. Yes! He was done!! It was 3:45 p.m. But the day wasn't over yet. His next interview was at 4:00. and we still needed to stop at the county record office to obtain Cayman's birth certificate that we never got. That's another story in itself, which I won't go into.

So we needed to plan this out: Mike's interview was at 4:00. We had to be at the county record office by 4:30. So the only option was, Mike had to have his interview on-the-go.

We loaded everything up-Cayman, stroller, labtop, diaper bag, grape juice. I jumped in the driver's seat while Mike got himself set up in the van for his next interview. We got a little lost trying to find the county record office but a quick phone call to the place got our path straightened out.

We arrived.

Fifteen minutes later I had Cayman's birth certificate and we were back on the road.

We still had not eaten.

I stopped at Trader Joe's and bought a sushi platter for $6.59 for us to share. It's not exactly as wonderful as the sushi from the Sadako Restaurant that we went to before but it was much more affordable.

When I got out to the van I found Mike in the driver's seat. It was 4:20 p.m. and his phone interview seemed to be a "no show"...crazy huh?

We ate. I pumped. Cayman ate. Cayman napped. We arrived home. Propped our feet us.

*sigh* What a day!!

7 Showin' Comment Love:

Angela said...

I am amazed at how much you've grown as a blogger!!! You are so amazing and even though I don't comment very often I want you to know that I think of you often. I can't wait to see you guys and hug you all close!

I love you!


Mary said...

Wow that made me tired just reading it. I'm amazed that Cayman does so well with an action packed day like that.

Ann said...

Wow what a day! Praying for the job opportunities!

Carey and Jon said...

don't you just LOVE having the big calendar on the fridge?! its the only way i keep jon and my life straight right now....i can't imagine adding a baby in there! :)

Lisa said...

You are a great story teller! I felt like I was right along with you!

I am sorry that you had such a full day of exhausting appointments, but I am glad that Cayman is getting such great care.

I hope that Mike finds the perfect job soon :)

Sherri said...

What an exhausting day! Hopefully you are all actually relaxing today :) And yay for one less doctor!!

The Soldatke family said...


I'm tired just thinking about it! What a busy day. But in a way, it's good to get them all over with in one day! Too bad there was minimal nourishment! Here's to hoping for a wonderful week