Dr. Julie

Wednesday, October 1, 2008


This is Dr. Julie. She specializes in the health and development of children with special needs. Cayman's pediatrician as well as the Early Intervention nurse recommended Cayman to see Dr. Julie. We did not know for sure what Dr. Julie would be doing for Cayman but she was described to us as the Sherlock Holmes of the special needs medical field. If there's something further we could be doing for Cayman Dr. Julie would know.

It was a meaningful appointment for two big reasons:

Reason one:
Dr. Julie was one of my resident doctors when I was 13 years old. I was in an auto accident then and spent a month in the hospital. Dr. Julie was a great support to me and my family. She did not recognize me but she remembered my case.

Reason two:
Dr. Julie was blown away by Cayman's development. Before seeing Cayman she had read her medical history of diagnoses and procedures. Her expectations were to find a baby that was hardly past a one month old's development. Cayman was having a very good day and she worked hard showing off her abilities for Dr. Julie. Mike and I were so proud!! Cayman sat on my lap, while I held a book in front of her and she turned the cardboard pages of this book all by herself, studying each picture. She sat up by herself with only support given at her hips, her eyes tracked every object during a vision screening, her muscle tone was right where it should be, her reflexes were good, Cayman babbled on and on talking to Dr. Julie. It's almost as if Cayman understood she was on display, being tested for her abilities, and she was determined to pass with flying colors. The only thing that popped up as concern was her hearing, which we kind of already knew that. Dr. Julie's opinion is the same as ours as well as the audiologist that Cayman can hear but we're uncertain of the clarity.

I'm not sure right now what kept me from busting outside of my shy self to dance around the room. Cayman amazes us!! It was exciting for Mike and I to watch Dr. Julie marvel over Cayman's development. For months we have been watching Cayman develop and meet milestones that was thought she might not ever do let alone right on schedule. Hearing the good report come from a doctor I highly respect felt so confirming and thrilling. It was a nice change from the many doctor's appointments we've had in the past that delivered bad news, devastating diagnoses, and poor prognoses. We are so blessed!

It was a fun doctor's appointment.

From Dr. Julie's point of view there is nothing else she can suggest we should be doing that we are not already doing for Cayman. She wants to see Cayman in 6 months to reevaluate her development then.

Mike's job hunting update:
No strong leads on a job yet. Mike's been getting a lot of phone calls. Some days the phone won't stop ringing it seems. BUT...and this is a big "but", it's all jobs that require us to move. It's such a difficult decision to make. We are living right where we want to be...near family, near the doctors we have grown to love and trust for Cayman's care...but we have to go where the jobs are. Mike and I were strongly talking just today about relocating....AGAIN...weighing out the pro's, the con's...moving away from family, switching doctors, etc. We have such a strong urge to lay down roots. We have moved 5 times since we got married and are burned out from moving. I don't know what God wants. Mike and I know if we could choose we would stay right where we are. But really it's not about us. Whatever God wants. I'm learning to trust Him more than I ever have before. So I don't know where we'll be in a month or next year. And to be honest, that's very disturbing to me. A place that I can call home and having family around are two very important things to me. I just keep reminding myself that God knows my heart, He knows my desires, He cares...He would not steer us wrong. If He has us make such a big change again, move us away from the place I have longed to be for the past 3 years, then it must be for a pretty big, important reason. I'm still praying and hoping we don't have to move though.

15 Showin' Comment Love:

Sherri said...

I want a Dr. Julie!!! I bet you just loved hearing every little thing Dr. Julie had to say about your little girl! What awesome news. You can really tell how tall Cayman is getting from that photo. We'll be praying for clear direction from God for your family's next step.

my life: said...

Can I second that? I want Dr. Julie too!!!!

I know that this is such a difficult time with tough choices to be made. Just want you to know, you are handling it all with such grace. I will remember you in my prayers.

Stephanie said...

I want a Doctor Julie too! What a wonderful report on Cayman!!!
Bless your hearts on the all the tought decisions regarding employment and location. I agree tht family is so important.

Shannon said...

Dr. Julie sounds amazing! What a blessing! And I'm beaming, having read about all of Cayman's accomplishments...how encouraging to know that a doctor is seeing what you're seeing! =)
We continue to join with you in prayer about Mike's job. Thanks for the update!

Jennifer said...

Forget Dr. Julie...YAY CAYMAN!!!! haha That's so awesome!!
I'm praying about Mike's job, too. I hope you don't have to move; or, if you do, that God will give you the desire. :)
Thanks so much for your prayers for my mom. It's amazing to know that people that I've never "met" care enough to spend time before the Lord for me. It really means a lot!

Beth said...

Dr. Julie sounds amazing - but hello, I think Cayman is the one doing all the work here!!!! Cayman is getting so big - you can tell in that picture with Dr. Julie.

We're thinking about you guys with the job situation and hoping and praying it works out for the best..

Whatever happens - just keep blogging so we can keep up with you guys and Miss Cayman!!!

Anonymous said...

what a praise!!! I cant believe how big Cayman is getting!!! And it does not surprise me one bit that she passed her appointment with flying colors!! You and Mike are truly doing an amazing job with assisting Cayman's development!! Keep up the great work, both you and Mike, as well as Cayman!!
We are so proud of you all!!!
Love ya,
Valerie

Aimee said...

So excited that Cayman is doing so well as to surpass a doctor's expectations! Sounds like she is right on track for the most part. God is faithful!

As for the job situation, my brother is facing some of these same decisions, so I know how tough this is on your family. Am praying God will make His will apparent to you.

Lisa Christine said...

Cayman is amazing! I am glad that she did her very best for her evaluation!

I am glad that Mike is getting lots of job offers...but I'm sorry that they would require moving. That is so stressful! I hope that you will be guided toward the right choice for your family :)

On a different subject....the hats came!!!!!!!!!!!! They are GORGEOUS!!!!!!! Donald said, "she could make a killing off of selling these!" He is right, you could have a business. They are simply perfect. Keep an eye on my blog for a post of your lovely creations :) Thank you!

Jill S. said...

kristen,
Cayman is doing awesome. Dr Julie makes me want to make a quick trip to your neck of the woods! Go, Cayman, go!!! I can only hope and pray that Matthew can do as well.

Jill

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! It's so awesome when these little ones amaze us (and the doctors!) with what they can do! We couldn't be happier for you!

We pray that you don't have to move, I know how stressful that can be. If you do have to move though and it happens to be anywhere near Southwest VA, you know you have friends here and we'll adopt you all into our family!

Anonymous said...

What a great feeling...to have a wonderful doctor's appointment after so many "yucky" ones! Been there, sista, and the good ones stick with you much longer than the bad! I'm so happy for you!!

Carey said...

ugh, i know what you mean about being close to family. when i moved back home after graduating from osu, i was SO happy to be near people i loved and i knew loved me. i will keep you in my prayers and hope that something will come around for you :)

Kacey Bode said...

Kristen, I got chills reading this post. I am so happy for you, Cayman is doing so great!! It's always especially exciting when they perform on cue and the doctors get to see the real them!! YAY CAYMAN!! She is so amazing!!

The job thing, ugh. That has to be so hard. We moved and my family moved to be with us and we are so thankful. The first 18 months without family around were really hard. BUT, you are right, God's will, will be done, and He knows what is right for us. I will pray for you!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, for cayman!!!!!!! Good girl...We are all proud of you:)