Niagara Falls Vacation: Cave of the Winds

Thursday, August 12, 2010

View of Cave of the Winds from the boat Maid of the Mist.


After the Maid of the Mist, pieces of our group went in different directions to take in more of Niagara Falls' attractions. The Soldatke's (Jill and Steve's family) and the Stamm's headed to the Cave of the Winds.

There we soaked up (or just plain got soaked) the experience of being closer to the waters of Niagara Falls than you ever thought possible. Cave of the Winds tour takes you to a wooden walkway up to Hurricane Deck where you can be less than 20 feet from the torrents of the Bridal Falls. On that deck you'll get doused with the sprays of the rushing waters, feeling like you are in the middle of a tropical storm.

Another viewing area has also been set up for handicapped individuals and adults with children in arms. We were a little of both of that. Our children (Matthew and Cayman) were both slumbering in their strollers. So while they slept the rest of us took turns staying by their side while the others climbed to the top deck.

View from the Canadian side.




Hurricane Deck




A little closer view of Hurricane Deck.




The slumbering Cayman.




Mike, Steve, Megan, and Mason




Beautiful!
{Mike took this picture} :)






Micah, Mason, and Megan




Somehow Mike got those Nebraskans to pose an O-H-I-O with him.
Mike, Micah, Megan, and Steve.




Mike and me.
{My mom had a good question regarding the no smoking sign. She asked, "How is it even possible to smoke with that much water down pouring?" Hmmm...}


Jill and I.








And that would be another way the waterproof camera was useful.

8 Showin' Comment Love:

david...Lorelai's uncle said...

1st!

cave of the winds is the one thing that i really would have loved to do that i didn't have a chance to. Next time!

Sherri said...

Wow! Those are some gorgeous photos!! I especially love your baby (Cayman) in a bag photo :)

Uncle Ty Ty said...

If Mike was a true romantic, he would have said "No smoking? Guess you cant be up here babe (kris), because you are smoking hott." How did he charm you over again??

Lisa Christine said...

Lol! I am totally laughing at the ginormous NO SMOKING sign. You're right, who's going to smoke right there? I am sure it wouldn't be easy :)

Your photo's are amazing. I wish I would have realized that there was handicapped access to the Cave of the Winds....that's one reason I didn't push for doing it....I thought I would be carrying Elisabeth up all those stairs.....ugghh...that would be exhausting!

And great job to Mike on that photo! I think you have an apprentice there!

Diane said...

I wish we would have done the Cave of the Winds. It looked like a lot of fun! As I said before, you take wonderful photos and even Mike did good this time. Way to go, Mike!

Diane

Oh and I wonder how David chooses who's uncle to be for the day ;-)

Jill S. said...

All I could hear in that video was Steve screaming!!! lol...just laughing right now...and so glad we did the cave of the winds. LOVE the picture that Mike took! It was beautiful1

Ann said...

Beautiful. Almost makes me want to travel but I think I've had enough for one summer! I'm glad y'all had such a great time.

Tiffany said...

Whoa...those are gorgeous!!!