Post-Surgical Follow-Up

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Life (a.k.a. the last three weeks) with a VP shunt has been beautiful. We are completely warmed by the wonderful feeling that it is working for Cayman. I feel more at ease now. With a VA shunt I always carried in the back of my mind that someday Cayman would outgrow it - it would need to be replaced. Plus there's some icky risks to having it in a vessel surrounding the heart. It's so much better that it's in her belly now.

We returned to the Neurosurgeon's office last week for her post-op checkup.

She tipped the scale, weighing in at 22 pounds! That's HUGE! Not so much literally obviously as it is figuratively. I've written in the past about the eating struggles we go through with her. It felt like victory to see her finally push past the 20 pound mark!

I captured a few pictures of Cayman with her Neurosurgeon, the most wonderful doctor I can ever imagine. I wish I could introduce him to you all. I'm so proud to call him Cayman's Neurosurgeon. He is simply a wonderful man!




I never did get a great shot without Cayman's hands in front of her face. She just couldn't stop playing peek-a-boo and clapping.

What a sweetheart that kid is! So full of life!

And so are we!

8 Showin' Comment Love:

Lisa Christine said...

1st!!

Great news. Gotta love the VP shunt!

Sara said...

I am so glad she is doing so well with her VP shunt! She is getting so big! 4 more lbs and she will be as big as Kadyn! :)

Tara said...

I love the VP shunt. Im probably it's biggest fan.

So awesome that Cayman is doing so great! Oh and Abigail has those sandals and she absolutely loves them : )

TeamMcDonough said...

Great news :}

Diane said...

I'm so glad the VP shunt is working well for Miss Cayman. I love how she is clapping in the picture.

Diane, Tyler's mom

dswillis said...

Love a good neurosurgeon

Tiff said...

Yeah!!! That is such great news. And we totally had a party at the weigh station when Olivia tipped over 20! :)

David said...

8th!