A Late Night Update

Friday, May 7, 2010


To those that have loyalty clicked over to check in on us, I greatly apologize for not writing sooner. I see my view count on the blog is at the highest it has ever been. Don't think for one moment that I take it for granted that we have so many that care deeply for our little girl and we can seek your prayers through our updates! You all are such a blessing to us. With heartfelt emotion, we thank you!

I feel as though the wind has been taken right out of me and finding the ability and strength to type is just not something I have right now. It's just been an incredibly long, scary day.

Mike has been posting quick little updates on facebook, bless his heart.

And bless all your hearts for covering us in so many prayers! God is with us. I can feel it. He's been our dwelling place.

I'm not sure who all has gotten the texts or facebook updates so I'll go through a quick bullet point summary of the day. I apologize if it's not a smooth read but it's about all the thinking ability I have right now.

  • In the middle of the night Cayman woke up vomiting.
  • In the early morning we noticed fluid accumulating around her shunt.
  • We packed our bags and headed out the door for Ann Arbor, suspicious of this being a shunt failure.
  • We got only a 1/4 mile outside of our little town and Cayman was struggling to breath.
  • I urged Mike to turn around and head to the local hospital instead.
  • Just as we turned into the hospital's drive Cayman lost consciousness and turned blue from head to toe.
  • Mike ran, I mean ran, moved like I have never seen him move before, carrying his precious little girl's lifeless body through the E.R.'s doors.
  • She had no pulse and was not breathing.
  • For what seemed like an eternity but in reality was "only" 45 seconds, they performed CPR until Cayman's heart began to beat again. ("Thank You Jesus!")
  • Cayman was life flighted to U of M hospital.
  • She was stable but very critical.
  • She was taken to the operating room where they externalized her shunt.
  • She'll stay like this til Monday and then we'll have a meeting with all the doctors involved to decide the best placement for the distal end of her shunt. We need many prayers about this as the answers are not very clear. There are so many risks.
  • Right now Cayman is in the PICU. She's stable but not out of the woods yet. She is breathing on her own. She's no longer sedated but sleeping continuously.
  • It won't be until she regains some strength and rest will we know if any of this has caused further damage to her brain.
  • For one brief moment we saw our little Cayman reappear when she attempted to sign "sleepy" which is what we call "night night". But other than that she remains lethargic and her little perky personality has disappeared.
  • God is watching over her, I know because He gave me a clear sign of that today. And when I am running off of more than just 1 a.m. brain power I will sit down and tell you all just about how amazing God has been to us today.
Please keep the prayers coming!

**On a side note, I turned on the time stamp at the bottom of the posts. Now you'll be able to see what time my updates come through in the day. Hopefully that will make for more clear communication.

And thank you all again, seriously, thank you for the prayers! I feel as though we are wrapped in grace. It might partially be shock but mostly I count it due to your prayers. We serve a God who's love endures forever.

Don't think for one moment that it seems gloomy for us to be sleeping in the PICU tonight. Trust me, it's not especially when I consider what could have been. I feel much contentment and count myself lucky to be right where we are. It could have been so much worse. So. Much. Worse.

56 Showin' Comment Love:

Unknown said...

I don't know how I "discovered" your blog a few months ago, but since then I'm following Cayman journey with joy and love (but in silence)...we are so proud of her, she's amazing...please know that she will be in our prayers and heart...and that also across the ocean (We are Italian and live in Italy) we are praying and thinking of her and of you..

Francesca and family.

Anonymous said...

Kristen and Mike, How absolutely frightening! I only turned on my computer this afternoon to check Cayman's blog and find out she was not well.

Sending you hugs from Sydney, Australia and many many prayers coming your way for your precious girl!

I will await your next update...hope you get some clearer answer very soon.

Sue said...

You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.....I want to say more....but what more is there to say? Hoping the morning light brings some encouraging news for you all.

The James Family said...

Kris - it's 2:30am our time and I'm awake... Cayman has been on my mind all day long... God and I have been talking all day long about that little girl! :) I'm glad you were able to post... Words can't even begin to express how much you all mean to me... I love you girl and know that I'm hear for you for anything! I just wanted you to know that even at 2:30 in the morning you're on my heart and I'm saying many prayers for you!! Love You!!

Pallavi said...

Kristen, everything will be all right. Our Cayman will fight it out.
Sending Prayers for your little princess from India. Lots of love to Cayman

Nichole said...

I check on Cayman every morning! I am sending good, healthy thoughts to you from Iowa!

The Henrys said...

I am praying for your beautiful daughter and for the both of you.

Gabriella said...

I am in shock but I am so grateful you have all this support during this frightening time. I pray for your little angel to recover soon. Prayers are continuously with you from Canada.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for all of you.

Grandma Cindy said...

Kristen you are soooo right - God is AMAZING and FAITHFUL!!! I cannot find the right words to express my thankfulness to Him for being there for Cayman - even before we knew He needed to be. I am so proud of you and Mike! God blest Cayman with the BEST parents she could ever have! XOXOXO

Molly said...

PRAYING! and spreading the word to mobilize the prayer warriors. Hugs to you and your sweet girl!

Carey said...

Oh Kris, now having a child of my own, reading this post just made me bawl my eyes out (it could be due to some post-pregnancy hormones too). You are all in my thoughts and prayers and Jon and I will continue to pray for good news.

Laura said...

I have been keeping my facebook updated all day yesterday about Cayman. that way the Leppla family and my church family could keep precious little Cayman in they're prayers. thoughts and prayers coming from Lima, Ohio area.

Aaron and Lindsay said...

Praying for you all!!!!

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for updating! I have been thinking of and praying for precious Cayman since I saw your post yesterday. What a frightening experience for all of you! I am so thankful she came through the surgery. I will continue to pray for you all as well as for Cayman's doctors to know what to do for her.

I look forward to Cayman's recovery and seeing her bright smile on your blog again. :c)

Diane said...

My heart goes out to you and Mike and to precious Cayman. I can't imagine what you had to go through yesterday but I know that you and Mike are strong people and that God will be behind you 100% of the way. I pray that Cayman stays strong.

Diane, Tyler's mom

Beth said...

I feel like I know you guys and Cayman - I've been reading since before Little Cayman was born! We are so thankful that Cayman is stable and are praying for continued healing and strength for you and Mike, as well.

Hugs to you!

Angela said...

Ah, Kris, you are amazing. God found the perfect parents for Cayman. That is certain. The first question I was asked when I walked in my office today was "How is she?" There was plenty of smiles over her improved condition and promises for continued prayers. <3 you guys!!!

(Word verification for comment: Stamm Seriously. :) )

linzypooh49 said...

So glad that Cayman is doing better today. How thankful that you made it to the hospital and turned back. What a scary moment for you! Keeping little Cayman in our prayers and your family as well.

Unknown said...

Kristen,
Thanks so much for the update. I have been worried and praying all night.

I will continue to keep the prayers coming....

Prayers coming from New Orleans...

Mary Easley

Unknown said...

Kristen,

You don't know me, but please know that I am praying for your family and for God to provide the doctors and nurses amazing wisdom with this situation.

Christy Rutkowski

boltefamily said...

Praying for all of you!

Bree said...

My heart and prayers go out to your family and to sweet Cayman. I have been following your blog for almost a year and my heart hurt when I found out Cayman was sick. When I checked my blog this morning I was so happy to see you had updated. Thoughts and Prayers from St. Paul & Duluth, MN!

Unknown said...

We are all praying for you guys!!!!!

Lisa Christine said...

Thank you so much for this update; I have been thinking about Cayman non-stop. I will be hoping and praying for her speedy recovery. We love your family so much!!! Give Cayman lots of hugs for us :)

Jennifer said...

Kristen, Shannon has been keeping me updated with Mike's Facebook status' since yesterday morning. I have been in continual prayer for you guys. I don't know what else to say. Love you! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to update. You must be exhausted. We are praising God that Cayman is still with us! Although we are "strangers" we have checked in on your little lady nearly every day of her life and were devastated to hear of yesterdays events. I am so thankful that you have felt the prayers offered by so many. We are praying for God protection and hugging our little ones a little tighter.

Kristin said...

Oh my Gosh Kristen! I will defiantly be praying!

Diana Parker said...

Still praying...

K said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. God is in control of all things and He will work everything out!

Knowledge Safari said...

Still thinking of your family and especially cute Cayman. Hope things continue to progress well.

Jill S. said...

What a scary day. I praise God she is still with us!

I love you my friend...please kiss Cayman for me today...and know that we are praying. Praying for our spunky little girl to return. Take care, get some rest...

Sarah said...

I read your blog daily. My prayers are with little Cayman, Mike and You. My name is Sarah (Britsch) Nafziger and I graduated with Mike and was brokenhearted when I read your post. I have two children myself and know the love that a mother has for her child. I pray that God's Arms are wrapped around all three of you today and forever. Just keep praying, I know I will.

Joyce said...

Oh Kristen and Mike, My heart just sunk when I saw that picture of Cayman. Then to read about what happened brings tears to my eyes. You two are simply amazing. We pray for his continued guidance and strength for all of you.

Debbie said...

Kristen and Mike,

I too have been waiting to hear how Cayman has been doing. My heart goes out to you all and pray for continued healing and strength for Cayman. Looks like you have people all over the world praying for your sweet Cayman...God is good!

Bonnie said...

Thinking of precious cayman!!!!! Shes a strong little girl:) Your amazing parents!!!

Shannon said...

Kristen and Mike,
This is the "other" Shannon. I was so frightened to read that and can only imagine what you went through. God's hands are surrounding Cayman, holding her tight. God Bless you all.
Shannon

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Stamm Family,

You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry you are going through this. The strength and love from your friends and family will get you all through this. Big hugs coming your way.

~ Kelly (Tyler's Mom)

Sara said...

Kristen,

Kadyn and I will continue our prayers. Wow, reading this brought back terrible memories and made me cry. From one hydro mom to another, We love you and we are praying hard.

DO you mind if I ask my church to pray as well?

Love,
Sara n Kadyn

Tiffany said...

Haven't stopped praying...hugs, hugs, hugs and prayers coming non-stop to you. I am only 45 minutes away from AA...please call if you need anything. Anything. Even just someone to sit with you and keep you company.

adia said...

okay time to come out of hiding... i've been reading your blog for over a year now (i think)

i did Mission Year in ATL (00-01) then worked in the office in Philly from 02-05 so somehow i was "friends" with Mike on Facebook and he must have posted your blog address @ some point because i've been reading ever since.

i was going to come out of hiding the other day because i too am a photography nut (www.adiaspeerphotography.blogspot.com) and am thinking of starting a business. i too love Etsy and have a store (www.etsy.fleecefirst.com) but i love reading your sweet & short blog posts every morning. because they are short most of the time i get to actually read them... i have two little ones (www.pbjeveryday.blogspot.com) it's been great seeing the progress that Cayman has been making!

and now you know my life story.... ANYWAY i just wanted you to know that i'm thinking of you guys right now and i can't imagine the horror you must have felt. *tears* you are incredibly strong people and Cayman needs that so much right now.

i'm not the praying type, not usually anyway... but i'll send one up for you 3 :o)

good luck in the next few days/weeks!

April Hart said...

I have been following Caymen's journey since I stumbled onto your blog from another page about hydrocephalus while I was still pregnant with my Isabelle who wasn't even suppose to survive and now she is a year old. I read your post about Caymen and pray for her continual progress because seeing that she has been able to make such great progress is such an encouragement for me with Isabelle's journey. I will continue to pray for your family. God is in control and he will continue to use her to show how Great a God he truly is. Prays from GA.

Kendra said...

Wow, that brought tears to my eyes as I was in that same hospital on Tuesday for tubes in Malachi's ears. We will be praying fervently for Cayman and the two of you. Anything we can do for you here in Ohio?

*Monica said...

Thank you so much for the update, I am so grateful for it. Be strong, Cayman!

Nichole said...

I keep checking in to see if there is any updates... For those of you who have Mike or Kristen on facebook - have their been any more updates today?

Anonymous said...

I am praying for a fast recovery and that she will come home fast!

Shannon
ketchamsdesigns.com

Carla said...

Prayers for your family, for Cayman's doctors & for answers & solutions.

Angie said...

You are such an amazing person Kristin! I love to read your blog and look forward to seeing your amazing pics of adorable Cayman every day. I'll pray for her continued recovery!! Get better sweet Cayman!

Kassy said...

Kristen and Mike, I have been following your blog (in silence) for a long time now and I am so sorry to hear this news! You two have so much love and joy for each other and for your special Cayman! We send our love and prayers to you all!

Kassy and Paul

Anonymous said...

Praying for a complete and speedy recovery.
Lea

Anonymous said...

I have come to follow Cayman's journey through an amazing friend at school. Prayers are being lifted up for your little one. Blessings~Angie Lashaway

TeamMcDonough said...

Sending lots of prayers your way.

Julie Reynolds said...

Kristen,
I read your blog everyday (it is on my bookmarks on my phone, so I can even check it if I'm not in front of a computer). I wanted to "come out of hiding" when Cayman sat up, then again when she walked in her walker, and again when she crawled but I was nervous about looking like a "silent stalker" so I kept doing it in silence. Now that I know I am among a few other "silent" followers I guess I can safely come out. :)
Your baby girl is amazing. She is such an inspiration, and you and Mike are incredible parents. I was so concerned when I heard Cayman was sick and now to hear what happened absolutely broke my heart. I can not imagine how you felt, but your positive attitude is incredible.
Sweet Cayman is most definitely in my prayers.

Julie Reynolds
(Rusty's wife)

Audrey Sue's Mommy said...

I can't imagine what you three have been through. The Hannon's prayers have been with you since we found out yesterday morning.

Jennybell said...

So sorry for what you've gone through! We'll be praying for you. And on the light side... your husband is wearing an OSU hoodie at U of M hosp? :)