A Wish Come True

Friday, March 26, 2010

Grandma Sue bought Cayman a book for her birthday (among many other things). Toward the end of Cayman's party, I was tidying up and organizing her lovely new things. I picked up the book and fanned its pages and replied, "Whoa, this is a long one! No way will Cayman's attention span let me finish this new story. I'll have to read it on my own first."


We giggled over the sweet, gift of having a little girl with a typical attention span of a two year old. And then Sue told me the book was really more for me anyways and I would understand when I read it.

That night, it was my pick for my nightly ritual reading I like to do. Mike chuckled a little when he saw his wife crawling into bed with a children's book. But when I told him of his mom's mysterious comment of the book being meant more for me than Cayman right now, he was intrigued too and we read it together.

Oh it's so precious! The whole book is a conversation between a Mama bear and her baby bear.

Let me take you through a little of its dialogue, specifically the parts that connected to the beat of my heart as Cayman's mama.


"Mama," said Barley. "Tell me again how I'm your wish come true."...

"A long time ago," said Mama to Barley, "a wish started growing in my heart. At first, it was a quiet wish that nobody knew. Then it became an out-loud wish that grew and grew and grew. Until one day my wish came true."...

"Why did you wish for me, Mama?" asked Barley...

"Because," explained Mama, "I had an empty place in my heart that I wanted to fill with love for a special child like you. Someone who would be my cuddly little one and I would be his Mama."...

"Did you wish for me all day, Mama?" Barley asked...

"All the time," said Mama softly. "I wished for you with my morning coffee and when I made my bed. I couldn't get my wish for you out from in my head."...

"When I first wished my wish," said Mama to Barley, "...I asked God to think about my wish and to create the child who would be the perfect one for me....Of all the children in the whole wide world, God made you for me."...

"Did you ever think," wondered Barley, "that your wish might not come true?"

"Oh yes..." said Mama, remembering how long the waiting seemed sometimes..."

"Did you imagine me to look exactly like I do?" asked Barley.

"You, Barley, are more beautiful than I ever dreamed." said Mama...

"What did you do when you first held me?" asked Barley...

..."I fell deeply in love with you. I looked into your sweet face, and right then, you became my wish come true."...

This book made think of a journal entry I wrote about a year and half ago after receiving a doctor's second opinion of the high risks involved if I get pregnant again...

Journal Entry:

I don't know if I'll ever be pregnant again. I have mixed feelings about this. Fact is, it felt like it was a miracle in itself that I got pregnant with Cayman and it took us only 14 months. During that time though it did not feel like only 14 months. It felt like an eternity and I wondered if I'd be left forever wishing for this dream to come true. I was not ovulating regularly, and only once or twice a year.

We talked about the options fertility treatments have to offer. I thought long and hard about that decision but could not find a peace for myself in that journey. So we left it entirely in God's hands.

And now, when I look at my little Cayman,

Remembering my wish of wanting a baby of my own,

A smile stretches across my face,

And I think to myself, "God sure didn't disappoint me."

A photo of my little wish come true taking a nap.

10 Showin' Comment Love:

Stephanie said...

Sweetest post ever!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Stephanie!

Love that book!

Sue said...

If this post doesn't tug at all our hearts, nothing will!! Being a mom....can't beat it! Love your new picture of Cayman...she looks so grown up sitting so straight and tall!

Sara said...

This is so precious! :)

That picture of her, with her favorite toy napping, just too sweet!

Beth said...

Wow! What a sweet sweet post about a sweet sweet gift!

David said...

my word verification is 'hoeti'

Jill S. said...

What a very, very sweet post Kristen!

*Monica said...

I think I need to go book shopping!! So very beautiful, thank you for sharing.

Lisa Christine said...

What a beautiful post and what a beautiful story you shared.

I've enjoyed reading your journal entries this week. You have such lovely thoughts on life.

Anonymous said...

Chills....I have never heard of that book but guess who's going to be getting that book for Easter?