Silhouettes

Sunday, March 7, 2010

You know what's so much fun about photography to me (well, one of the things anyways)?

There is just so much to know and learn. It cannot all be understood in just one setting. It requires lots and lots of reading and lots and lots of practicing. And then the reward is a perfectly captured memory, frozen in time to always be remembered.

It's the type of work that is fascinating fun!!

I wrote once about learning the effect of taking beautiful photos in a bright setting like in the snow. Well, now I've been going for the very opposite of an effect and learning how to take silhouettes in a dimly lit setting like a sunset.

I have to say, I think it's a favorite of mine, from an artsy spectrum. There's sort of a simplicity about a silhouette. It conveys a story while leaving out the details for the viewer's imagination.

And here is the silhouettes of my two most favorite people...

10 Showin' Comment Love:

The James Family said...

That's an awesome picture I love it!!

Diane said...

That is awesome! Another friend of mine is a photographer and she just did a silhouette of a mom, dad and their 2 kids jumping on a trampoline and cut the trampoline out and it looked like they were flying/jumping in the air. It looked awesome and I fell in love with it. The next time I get pictures done I told her I would love to have that done.

Diane, Tyler's mom

Angie said...

Oh what a great picture! :) I just love looking at all of your awesome pics. You are so talented!

Stephanie said...

so cool.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kristen. That is gorgeous!! My mission this summer, when I don't have to work, is to work on my photography every day! Can't wait to get some mad skills like you do! :)

Grandma S said...

How sweet. I love all of your pictures of Mike and Cayman. You can just see the hold Cayman has on his heart.

Krissy said...

simply gorgeous!

Sara said...

That has to be the most perfect picture ever. Its wonderful, and you can see how much she adores her daddy and how much her daddy adores you. You two truly are wonderful parents, and I look up to you guys I really do :)

The James Family said...

I wanted to be the very first person to wish Cayman a VERY happy birthday today! It's hard to believe she is two - I remember waiting for the call from your mom to tell me she was finally here... and then I remember crying cause I just wanted to be there with you and to meet this special little person! She has made my heart so much bigger - I adore Cayman and love everything about her... and her mommy is pretty special to me too!! We have something coming in the mail to Cayman - sorry it's going to be late... if I could bring it to her myself I would... but guess I will have to settle for USPS! Anyways we love you guys and hope you have an awesome day celebrating Cayman - give Cayman lots of hugs and kisses from us!

Kristin said...

you should check out this website, they have a challenge every week to build skills. http://digital-photography-school.com/


Love the photo! And Happy Birthday Cayman!!!