Snow Baby

Saturday, January 9, 2010

We got dumped with several inches of snow this past week. I have been waiting and watching for it, so I was happy when all that snow finally came! I had been longing to get outside to introduce Cayman to this winter experience.

Plus, I have spent many hours studying and learning my camera settings so I could get the exposure correct for winter shots so the snow's appearance comes out white and not gray in the photos. I was dieing to put all my head knowledge into practice and see if I could out smart my camera's metering system and accomplish this tricky challenge.

It thrilled me all the way to my fingertips when I got back inside of the house and put my pictures on the computer and I saw that I had captured white snow!

But what I am most proud of is how well these pictures tell the story of a Daddy and his little girl, and their beautiful world together!
























Cayman's first snow angel.






Cayman did not like being sat down in the snow...unless...



she was buried in it.
For some reason, that was pretty fun to her.





Cayman found the snow to be quite delectable.
That's her Daddy's DNA coming out in her. Mike loves himself a good slushie!




Teaching Cayman how to make snowballs.







30 Showin' Comment Love:

Katie said...

WAY TO GO KRISTEN!!!!!


PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT Pictures!

What a fun time an a GREAT story :)

LOVE IT ALL!!!

Diane said...

I'd have to say you captured every moment. I love the pictures. What a cute snow angel and I love how she was licking the snow. But remember Cayman only the white snow, not the yellow :)

Diane, Tyler's mom

Jerry, Tia, Kaiden And Hunter said...

How precious! I wish that Kaiden loved the snow that much. I just love all the pictures and memories that you have captured!

K said...

Great Pictures. It looks like your family had so much fun outside.

(Jill's sister-in-lay by the way)

Anonymous said...

I know those photos are especially meaningful to you and your family, but the quality is soooo good - seems you could sell them - if you wanted to. Just saying. Barbara

David said...

what contrast between the red outfit and white snow!

let's see, here it's sunny and warm and delightful :)

but i'll see plenty of snow in a couple weeks at sundance!

Sherri said...

WOW! Great job!!She is so funny licking the snow :) What a blessed little angel!

Carrie said...

The last picture is just precious. I'm glad that Cayman liked the snow!

Mary said...

Looks like fun for all!

Lisa Christine said...

Oh Kristen! These are amazing! Simply Amazing! You captured the moment(s) perfectly. Wow oh wow.

Josephine said...

These really are beautiful pictures! I think the last one has to be one of my favourites - daddy and daughter just look so happy together :)

Molly said...

Gorgeous! the ones of Mike and Cayman always make me smile! That guy sure loves his baby girl!

Mrs. Smith said...

Loved these pictures! I've been meaning to ask you, can you tell me what kind of camera you have?? I'm looking to upgrade and am collecting "data"!!

My name is Sarah said...

Priceless!!!!

Tara said...

Ahhh snow!! I miss it sooo much!

You did such an awesome job capturing all the daddy daughter moments!

Linda said...

Hi! I found your blog through Kacey's blog. Your daughter is beautiful! I was wondering if you sell the hats that you make? If so I would be interested in buying a couple of them. : )

Cayman's Daddy said...

Re: to lisa's comment

wow IO wow

SuzanSayz said...

I'm glad I decided on the spur of the moment to come visiting. Those pictures are So incredible.
I am in awe actually, for a really good reason too.
When we had a Picture People studio at our mall I went there several times to get my kid's and grandkid's pictures taken. I always chose the white background because the blown up sample photos they had displayed in the store almost always used the white background and they were so beautiful. A crisp bright white background really made those portraits pop. Sadly the pictures that came back didn't look as if they had used the white background at all. The best they could ever get was a slightly less dingy grey than normal. I would get furious with them. Not that I had any illusions about their competence, trust me their "photographers" I'm sure probably recieved no more than an hours worth of training. What angered me was the multitiude of excuses I would get for why they were incapable of giving me a pure white background in my pictures. I knew that they had NO idea what they were talking about. But what could I do?
So to see these gorgeous pictures of yours with that pristine flawless beautiful pure white snow, proves to me that it's absolutely possible.
100 points to you Kristen for taking the time to learn how it's done and then following the process so wonderfully!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures and what a heartwarming story!

Debbie said...

Awesome pictures, Kristin!

Unknown said...

Great pictures. Cayman looks like she really enjoyed being outside with her daddy.

One of the Grams said...

I wonder how many Grandmas Mike gave heart attacks to with those pictures of Caymany in mid-air.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! I need help with my camera...I'm going to send you an email. :) You're pictures are getting so good!!! What a great time in the snow.

bridget said...

Oh my gosh...I love love love these pictures! They brightened my day. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Anonymous said...

Great Photos!

I have nominated your blog for a Lemonade Award. See Violet's blog for more detail

Amy J. said...

Those are soooo good! I love them so much. The "in the air" pictures are gorgeous...but I love how you captured Cayman in her Daddy's glasses! Great Job!

Jill S. said...

Kristen,

These pictures are AMAZING!!! I love them! I especially like the one of Cayman in the air, and one of Mike's glasses. They are all wonderful though. Every single one. You sure are talented!! Is there anything you can't do??? :) love ya girl!!

Glad Cayman got to experience the snow!! It's so bitterly cold here we hardly even step foot outside, but the kiddo's love it anyway!

Sarah M said...

Great photos! They all look amazing. You are definitely a talented photographer!

Shannon said...

These are incredible and really show what a great time y'all were having! :) I especially like the one where you can see Cayman reflected in Mike's sunglasses. :)

Kim said...

I love these! Looks like so much fun!