Expanding Boundaries

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

All over the family room, Cayman will roll and roll, explore and play. But if she ever reaches the edge of the carpet where it meets the hardwood floor, it mise well be the edge of a cliff because to her that's as far as she will go.

One of Cayman's therapists once told us that it is very common for a child that has been hospitalized and under gone many medical procedures, for them to be very territorial and untrusting to anything new. Perhaps that explains why Cayman use to generally play with only toys that she was familiar with.

And now that she is more mobile, I am seeing another way that she is displaying distrust. She will not wander and explore outside of her known boundaries, the areas she already knows are safe such as our main hang out room, the family room.

This has its advantages. I can set her down with some toys in her room and go take a shower worry free that she has not wondered away and is getting into trouble. But the thought of her independently exploring just thrills me. If she would ever wander out of her room to come find me, oh that would make my heart soar.

So, I'm on a mission. I am trying to teach Cayman how to expand those boundaries of hers. I want her to realize she can go places and accomplish much.

And I realize this mission just might bite me later if I ever find the confidently wandering Cayman exploring the kitchen cupboards and dumping their contents all over. (lol) I hear that toddler do such things as that.

It's hard for me to imagine Cayman exploring on her own right now but it tickles me just thinking of it.

So I have this plotted mission broken into steps...

Step number one was to play with Cayman on the hardwood floors, the forbidden spot to her. I set up her toys on the hardwood floors just next to the line where the carpet begins with the idea that the "safe zone" would remain in sight to her.



On the first day, Cayman cried. She did not want to sit on the hardwood floors at all. So I moved onto plan B. I set Cayman on my lap, while still remaining on the hardwood floors. We played with her toys from there until she became comfortable and I sat her back down on the floor and she was not disturbed. Alright, progress!!

And each day after, we have played with various toys on the hardwood floors, moving further and further away from the family room.




She has not yet wandered out of the family room on her own, BUT, she is way more comfortable with the idea of being on the hardwood floors. Remember, I said on "day one" she cried. Well after consistent days of being placed on the hardwood floors, she has gained much confidence to move about on them....

In fact, take a look at a recent video I shot of her, and make sure not to miss her adorable backward scooting on her bottom (she came up with that move all on her own!)....

17 Showin' Comment Love:

Grandma S said...

Whenever I see her in these pictures and videos, I want her here so I can give her a big squeeze. She's going to be getting in those cupboards before you know it.

Grandma S said...

Wow, I think I'm supposed to say first!

Anonymous said...

I like the way she brings her legs forward immediately after coming to sitting. Her movements are intentional and experimental - nice clip of motor learning! Barbara

Josephine said...

That is so great! And I hadn't realised how mobile she is!!! What an amazing little girl! One of the wonderful things about these amazing children is that they teach us to appreciate and delight in things that most parents take for granted! I can't even remember how many times I heard parents of "normal" children tell me how lucky I was that my child would still be in the same spot when I came back into a room, because they were so sick of having to chase after their toddlers. I LOVE that these days, when I get out of the shower, I never know where I might find either of my children! I LOVE that Avery can go anywhere in the house that she wants to go! I LOVE that even when it means that she's got into something she shouldn't have got into, or made a mess that I then have to clean up.

Anonymous said...

First off, that backwards bottom scoot made my day!! Second, as soon as she realizes all the trouble she can get in if she explores, she'll be out of there!!

I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU GIRLS TOMORROW!!!!

Diane said...

That video was adorable. I love the backward bottom scoot! Also, from the last picture it looks like she might be a cheerleader. It looks like she is in a full form split.

Diane, Tyler's mom

Sara said...

I love the backwards scoot...I don't think I could do that! haha!

Mrs. Smith said...

Yep, that is a child who knows exactly what she's doing! I think she's plotting her next moves even now! What if you made a trail with her most favorite toys leading her to some new exciting place, like the kitchen! Can't wait to see a video some day of your tupperware drummer! :)

Jill S. said...

Oh my goodness, that was the cutest video ever!! Love the backwards bottom scoot. I was laughing so hard!! She sure is a sweetie!!

Mary said...

I love the backward scoot. So much more fun to scoot on the hardwoods and the blocks make way more fun noises when tossed on the hard wood. Way to go Cayman.

PS I'm super jealous you and Tiffany get to play in real life.

Lisa Christine said...

This is so interesting to me because Elisabeth is the same way....she just stays put in her confort zone. Actually, there was that one time that she took herself to my bedroom (I posted about it).

I always just blamed it on the fact that she is visually impaired...I figured that she couldn't see far enough to know that there was anything out there.

Anyways, it's great to see Cayman becoming more comfortable venturing out. Before you know it she'll be all over the place....you'll have to teach her how to play hide and seek!

11th!

Lisa Christine said...

This is so interesting to me because Elisabeth is the same way....she just stays put in her confort zone. Actually, there was that one time that she took herself to my bedroom (I posted about it).

I always just blamed it on the fact that she is visually impaired...I figured that she couldn't see far enough to know that there was anything out there.

Anyways, it's great to see Cayman becoming more comfortable venturing out. Before you know it she'll be all over the place....you'll have to teach her how to play hide and seek!

11th!

Lisa Christine said...

Apparently I was 11th and 12th....oops! lol!

and now lucky 13th!

Sarah M said...

It is so great watching each new development that Cayman masters! I was impressed with her flexibility, too, and how much fun she was having sliding on that slippery surface. But I was even more impressed that Mike would allow her to throw pointy blocks on his nice wooden floor! I remember the days when we couldn't even walk on it for fear of a scratch. :)

Anonymous said...

That backwards scoot is adorable!!! And very clever!!! And Uh oh Kris, those drawers and built in "china cabinet" that I absolutely love about your dining room....she's going to be into them before you know it!!!!
Too cute!!
Valerie

Katie said...

Gooooooooo Cayman!!

I love the backward scoot.

I, like Barbara, love how her legs quickly come around.

I also like what Lisa said about the territory.

I have thought the same things about Lilah because of the vision impairement. Lilah likes the feel of the carpet and loves to pat on the tile in the foyer.

Our little gifts sure do make us wonder with amazement at the things they do.

I am just so impressed with how mobile Cayman is. AND what you said about the cupboards...I can only dream of that day...but I will stay in the moment.(Thank you for that awesome post and reminder!)

Tara said...

Wow that was the most adorable video!!!!