Leaves, Leaves, and More Leaves

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Our yard was well over due for raking the leaves. So we set about the work on this beautiful, sunny Saturday. We killed 3 1/2 hours of raking time. We were nearly finished raking the front and sides of the yard when Mike stood up straight, stretching his back. He let out a groan and a sigh as he glanced over the rest of the unraked leaves and then looked at the growing pile at the road side. Leaning against his rake he declared, "I didn't know we lived in a frickin' forest!".

After spending 3 1/2 hours raking leaves...

all by hand...

a couple blisters later...

and very tired, sore bodies...

Mike and I determined, we are doing this all wrong.

It's about working smarter, not harder.

And so that means, looking into some equipment that will make this job a lot quicker and easier in the future. We live in a wonderful modern time when we have such conveniences available and I think we should own them. :)

Can you see Mike way back there, at the end of the long leave pile? Click on the picture to see it full size and that might help. That will give you a better depth idea of how big this leaf pile really was.



21 Showin' Comment Love:

Grandma Cindy said...

I just LOVE leaves....but then I don't rake ... Don't you just want to jump in them?

Jill S. said...

You guys have such a pretty yard!! I love it!! Sorry for all the leaves though. That's a lot of work!!

Unknown said...

Wowwee!!!! That is A LOT of leaves! :D

Josephine said...

At our old house, our next door neighbour had a leaf blower, and I hated that thing. He was always out there blowing leaves from the one tree he had in the back yard. It drove me crazy. BUT leaf blowers were made for a reason, and that reason is yards like yours!!! I can't believe you raked all those leaves BY HAND!!!!!!!! That's CRAZY!!!! You should DEFINITELY invest in a leaf blower next year!!!!!

David said...

oh my gosh that is a lot of leaves!

you should have done a contest like lisa. remember when she had us guess how long it took her to fold all her laundry? you could have had us guess how long it took to rake leaves!

did you jump in the pile after you were done?

go buckeyes!

David said...

and i'm wondering, what do you do with them once they're gathered on the street? just hope they blow away?

Kristen said...

David,

That would have been a great idea to have everyone guess how long it took us. Gosh, why don't I think of these good ideas first. I guess I will have to start consulting you before I post. Haha

The city picks the leaves up. They come by with a huge tube that sucks them up. It's pretty cool!

And no we did not jump in them. We were too tired! :)

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Wow that is a huge amount of leaves. I hope they don't blow back in the yard before they get picked up. That's what usually happens to us. I'm guessing the final score today helped ease the pain for Mike. We are getting to almost enjoy wins at Penn State as much as wins at that school up north:)

Stephanie said...

The home we just moved from had a half acre of oak trees. It took 5 days eight hours a day to rake all the leaves.

Now we are in the new home without any tree's. I want to buy some big tree's and Dave just thinks about all those leaves he had to rake and he is content to be treeless.

Sara said...

My dad used to just run them over with the lawn mower, that way they all collect in the bag.

Although that it a lot more leaves then what my dad ever had!

Anonymous said...

That is a heap of leaves!

Diane said...

Oh guys, I feel your pain. That was what we did today too. Although ours only took 1 1/2 hours and that was with a leaf blower. My parents got us a leaf blower for Christmas the first year we bought our house, because after that 1st fall, I was never raking again. And to this day it is the best gift EVER!!!

Too bad you can't convince the city to use that sucker machine to go over your entire yard, so you don't have to rake them to the curb.

Diane, Tyler's mom

Tara said...

Oh I want to come and jump in your leaves! I miss that! We did that alot when we were kids!

Katie said...

I know that it is hard work, but I do miss the leaves and the seasons change SO much.
I agree...get something to help make life easier!!

Grandma S said...

Just be glad you don't live over here. You would have had to bag them all, load them in the car, and take them to a dump site!

I miss the smell of burning leaves!

Aunt Sam said...

can i come jump in them?? haha.

Anonymous said...

Sue, do u really miss that smell or was that sarcasm?? Because really...if u miss it that bad...come visit us in Pettisville! That's all u smell here lately. Every burns at the end of their driveways because we don't have leaf pickup!! The smell stinks up the whole town!!
And to you Kris, that's a ton of leaves, no wonder u guys were tired afterwards!!!
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Sue, do u really miss that smell or was that sarcasm?? Because really...if u miss it that bad...come visit us in Pettisville! That's all u smell here lately. Every burns at the end of their driveways because we don't have leaf pickup!! The smell stinks up the whole town!!
And to you Kris, that's a ton of leaves, no wonder u guys were tired afterwards!!!
Valerie

Audrey Sue's Mommy said...

Oh.my.gosh! That is a CRAZY amount of leaves. You two must have been totally and completely pooped. We do the lawnmower trick at our house - but I think we must have smaller trees around our house.

I am in shock of the amount of leaves - in.shock!

Sue said...

Please don't tell me that he was raking leaves....and not watching OSU beat Penn State!!! It does appear that you live in the woods by all the leaves...amazing!!! I didn't see Cayman anywhere...hope she isn't lost under the pile...hee hee hee.

Kristen said...

Sue,

No way would Mike let leaves stop him from missing the Buckeyes play. We started early enough so we would be finished in time for the game. He even set the alarm clock on his cell phone and kept it close, tucked away in his pants pocket, just so he wouldn't lose track of the time. :)

Cayman sat outside on a blanket with some toys for the first hour. Then after that she went in for a nap. I kept the baby monitor attached to me while we worked. She woke up for the last half hour of our leaf raking work, but she played happily in her crib. She is such a good baby.