Gratitude Attitude

Monday, November 16, 2009

Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I have been enjoying the "Gratitude Attitude" that people have been spreading on their blogs or Facebook.

The assignment is to write a daily note, during the month of November, of something, big or small, you are thankful for.

I am jumping on the wagon a little late, half way into the month, but none the less, I am bursting with gratitude and am dieing to share what I am grateful for.

I am grateful for my camera.

It has a special story behind it. Allow me to share...

When I was pregnant with Cayman, I did not know if we should be planning for a funeral or a nursery.

But when she lived...

And we got to bring her home...

To be a family together...

That put within me the desire to retain every beautiful piece of our lives with her and never forget the amazing gift Cayman's life is to us. Photography has been that avenue to keep those precious memories sharp in my mind and heart. The pictures and videos I take, enable me to forever capture a special moment and freeze it while the rest of life continues on.

Mike began to recognize this passion within me awhile ago. That's when he did something completely untypical...

He bought something very expensive without talking to me first! (uh-oh) *insert the scary doom music here*

It was Christmas time (of last year). Mike ordered my gift but had it secretly shipped to his parents' house so I would not find it.

Now, I am not a snoopy person, but I am so organized and aware of every crack and corner of our home, it makes hiding anything from me very difficult.

That is true of me except for our house where we live now though. This place has a decent amount of space, but it's so undefined that it's taking some time to bring it up to the state of organization that I like. Mike just might get away with hiding my Christmas gift at our house this year. :)

When Christmas day came, he brought out the neatly wrapped gift, that I could only assume he had someone else wrap for him. (Mike's wrapping jobs have a presentation all of their own.)

I ripped away the red and green Santa Claus paper and stared blankly at the Nikon camera box in my hands. I shot a look at Mike that said, "I can't believe you bought this without talking to me first!"

Knowing what I was thinking, Mike said, "Kris, we can afford this, I will make sure of it. Besides, the gift is not from me. Read the card."

There was a little piece of torn wrapping paper, folded over, and taped to the outside of the box. I turned it over and read the familiar scribbles of Mike's handwriting:

Because you are the best Mommy in the world!

Love,

Cayman

Mike had bought the camera under a full refund policy so if I decided I did not like it or could not relax about the money that was spent, it could be returned.

For the first three days Mike snapped pictures, played with all the fancy settings, and showed me some tricks. After that third day, when I began to relax, I picked up the camera, snapped a picture of Cayman, and the rest is history.

18 Showin' Comment Love:

Michelle said...

And Mike is right, you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

If I remember right, Mike could hide your Christmas presents down in your basement and you wont find them at all!! Do you still not like going in the basement??? Such a neat story though about the camera! We've had several conversations about the camera, but not sure I ever heard the whole story!!
Valerie

Diane said...

Way to go Mike AND Cayman. You are the best mom to deserve a present like that. And you are so talented, you don't deserve anything less. I love the pictures you have taken and keep them comin.

Diane, Tyler's mom

David said...

my wrapping jobs are not stellar either

Tara said...

I absolutely LOVE my Nikon. As a camera goes it is the greatest investment there is. And you do enjoy the camera!

Lisa Christine said...

And we are all 'grateful' to see the photos that you take with your camera :)

Stephanie said...

What a sweet story.
p.s. I have a Nikon on my wish list

Sue said...

I don't know what 'I' would do without 'your' camera....you have a real gift in photography, and an adorable subject!! Keep it up!!

Anonymous said...

I'm paying attention....my camera is 6 years old now. But how can I expect something newer when this one works fine?

I'm feeling a real kinship with you; my self-image is of being very organized, and I am(!). But I do struggle with organizing digital images, and have been very slow to get them to paper and a scrapbook. Any advice?

Just this weekend we had a funny story of Hubby hiding my anniversary present. In the middle of the night I saw the light on in the bathroom at the other end of the house. He had left a beautiful amerylis plant in there thinking I would not find it. tehe. Barbara

Cayman's Daddy said...

I remember us having a $25 limit for each other. The camera bag and cleaning kit fit nicely within that. Cayman sure splurged though...

Anonymous said...

I am grateful that michigan still SUCKS!

Aunt Sam said...

I'm pretty sure the wrapping job was done by me. haha. :)

Jill S. said...

Kristen,

So greatly written!! I love your hubbies comment! What a great guy!! I love seeing your pictures too!! It was a great investment. Thanks for a good read and a few tears today!!

Oh and thanks for the phone call! Exactly what I needed!! And my blog update may be late tonight. As of 5:30...no results...will probably blog by 9 pm if I don't hear anything.
Keep up the great pictures!! I love seeing them..and I for some reason can see these at the hospital.

Take care and love ya!

Anonymous said...

That got me all teary!! I love Mike!!

Bree said...

What a great story on how you got your camera! I also love seeing all the unique pictures you capture of Cayman and your family.

Katie said...

You deserve it and you do a great job!

Ann said...

How wonderful, what a special gift. Mike you are one great guy letting your daughter spend like that at such a young age. You're in for it when she gets older ;)

Amy J. said...

Wow...his little comment, "It's not from me.." and his note...I don't usually get choked up when I read blogs. What a sweetie!