A Gift that Speaks to My Heart

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I love taking pictures. Back in the day, before digital cameras, I went through plenty of film. I was about ten years old when I received my first 35 mm camera with the manual winding film track. I would take a hike in the woods with a friend and snap pictures, pretending I was a great photographer. My dolls, guinea pig, or my little brother, Tyson were just some of the many willing subjects I would pose. I am sure Tyson regrets that now since my collection of props and wardrobe consisted mostly of TuTu's and tights. :)

I have oodles of shoe boxes filled with photographs from those days.

Almost two decades later and not much has changed. The camera technology has evolved greatly but my love for taking pictures has remained strong. I still walk around taking oodles of pictures and pretending I'm great at it. The first time a digital camera was placed in my hands I was sure I had been given a little piece of Heaven on Earth.

It is not just about snapping pictures that holds my enslaving passion for photography. More specifically, it is about freezing the moments that I know I never want to forget. My desire to retain every vivid memory in my mind and heart has led me to explore the stunning art of photography.

I started a separate blog where I have been posting my favorite photographs. Check that out here.

I am all the time trying to perfect my skills and learn news one's. In doing so, my many Google searches have led me to some photography blogs that I follow. But there is one specifically that I follow very closely.

Kim Fordham Photography

Her work captured my eye the instant I saw it.

The clarity...

The lightning...

The elegant colorful style...

The collection of knit and crochet hat...

Oh yeah, I was hooked. Each new photo Kim posted deepened my love for her photography style and stirring within in me the desire to not just pretend to be a great photographer but perhaps the pursuit to become one.

I have followed Kim's photography blog for many months, secretly, watching and waiting for new posts to pop up. Then one day I decided to write her. I told her about how beautiful her pictures are and how I dreamed of booking a session with her someday. Kim wrote me back and gave my family a gift that will forever mark our walls and hearts with her kindness.

Want to know the rest of the story?

Click here. Beautiful pictures of Cayman awaits your viewing pleasure.

16 Showin' Comment Love:

Beth said...

THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love them all - the football one is adorable - love little Cayman's touchdown sign (with the peace sign on her left hand)!!! I swear to you she just gets cuter in every picture - oh and you and Mike look great too!!!

I'm the first comment today too!!!!

Diane said...

The pictures are AMAZING!! I especially like the one of Cayman doing the touchdown.

My husband, Travis, and I were just talking about photography the other night and that if we ever won the lottery, I would become a professional photographer. I was the same way, I love taking pictures.

Although, I believe you can stop pretending to be great at it and start believing, because your pictures you take are great.

Diane, Tyler's mom

*Monica said...

Kristin,

I am usually moved to tears by the sentimental, but the comments on the photographers blog from her followers made me cry like a baby. Cayman touches so many of us everyday with every post and to know they feel the same after just seeing her made my day.

The family picture is amazing! She did an excellent job capturing ya'lls beautiful loving spirit.

Kristin said...

Those are great! I've been admiring your photography too, you are very good. I've had a love for photography for many many years as well, but for some reason I can't quite grasp the technical aspect of it...I'm a 'show me how and I'll learn" type vs a 'read about it and learn' type, so I think someday I'll take a few classes at a community college or something.

I have wanted to ask though, what type of lenses do you use for your portraits of Cayman?

Jill S. said...

I got a sneak peak at them yesterday, via facebook! I love them!! They are great! They turned out perfect; just like you hoped! And I love your photography skills, you are very good at capturing Cayman and your subjects. Oh, and you know those pictures you have of Tyson can be scanned and put on your blog...kind of like "my photography then" and my photography now". I'm sure Tyson would appreciate that!

Kim said...

Kristen, I had such a wonderful time photographing you and your beautiful family. Caymen is an amazing little girl and she has been blessed with two extraordinary parents. Thank you again for such a wonderful opportunity! I am excited to watch as you grow in photography and will always be here if you need me!

Sue said...

Wow, what can I say....I don't know who recieved more blessings from this experience....your family or Kim!! You all will forever remember this....the pictures are beautiful.

Tara said...

Oh I just LOVE them!!!!!!

Lisa Christine said...

What a beautiful gift she has given to a beautiful family.

I love them all. Just perfect!

Patti said...

Those are amazing pictures!! What a blessing for your family!! I think the family pic where Cayman is sitting is my favorite, she is just too darn cute.

Amy J. said...

What an awesome story! I love that you each helped the other out at just the perfect time. Those photos are amazing! I too can only dream to one day be that good.

Anonymous said...

Photos are divine!~

Kristen said...

Kristin,

I just have one lens. It is a 18-105 mm f/3.5.

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Stunning!!! That first pic of the three of you is breathtaking. A true treasure. I of course so smiled when I got to the Buckeye shot. They really are just fabulous.

Little Cayman certainly has touched a multitude of souls in her short little life. Such a blessing you all are.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing...I'm an avid photographer myself but can use some tips!! Beautiful pics!!!

Sarah M said...

Amazing! She really did capture the beauty of all of you! You look beautiful in all the pictures, Kris! I can't wait to see them up on your shelves, where they will look even better, I'm sure!!