Brainiac

Monday, May 18, 2009

At the end of March I wrote a very long post about our very long day in Ann Arbor. Cayman had a CT scan done of her head that day. I wrote how I wished I had a copy of the scans so I could share the exciting view of her brain growth!


Well, I am happy to announce I have those scans now.

Cayman's brain scans:

A quick review: The black area in the center is all the fluid. The gray surrounding the fluid is the brain tissue.

As you can see, a lot of the fluid has drained but there is still a great amount left in Cayman's head. Her brain tissue has more than doubled in size though. That is a beautiful site to behold!

Here's another interesting scan. It's a 3D image of Cayman's skull. I find it fascinating to be able to view her fabulous shunt from this perspective. When I say fabulous, I truly mean to use that word. The shunt allows Cayman to live and thrive. What a huge blessing that fabulous shunt is!!

20 Showin' Comment Love:

Molly said...

Look at all that brain! She looks fantastic. Go Cayman GO!

Josephine said...

Oh wow! That 3d scan image of her skull is fascinating! I'd love to see one of Avery's :)
Yay for Cayman's brain tissue! It's great to see how much it's expanded :)

Carla said...

what a beautiful brain! Isn't it amazing what these scans can show? I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves to look at my child's shunt on a scan:)
Way to grow Cayman!

Beth said...

WOW!!!! That is amazing! Yay for Cayman (and for you and Mike for giving her an environment to thrive in)!!!!!!

Jill S. said...

It's great to see all that brain!!! I have never sat and compared Matthew's. Now I want to!!! And the 3d skull, now that is bizarre~! I can't believe that!

Unknown said...

Wow... Caymans scans look terrific! :D :D I know that you and Mike were estatic to see this! The advances in medical technology are truly amazing!!!! Thank you fpr sharing these images! :D

I had Lily's Dr. show me a comparrison of her scans the last time we were there... I am going to ask for a copy along with the fenestration videos that they have of her.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for big brains! :) As Olivia says, "Kiss your brain!" and then you kiss your hand and touch your head. Woo hoo!!

Tara said...

Oh how awesome those scans are! And the 3d image too! Your right there sure is alot of fluid in there but no nearly as much as there was at birth! Way to go Cayman!

Katie said...

AAAAMMMMAAAAZZZZIIINNNGGG!!!!!!

What a GIFT! A miracle!

I am SO happy for YOU guys!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow! The 3D image is really something. Very happy to see all that brain tissue! Yay for Cayman.

Sara said...

That is amazing. I should get a hold of Kadyn's scans...but he has had soooo many! I think he has maybe 50 at most..,maybe more scans done. The 3d image of her skull is just amazing. The things they can look at now days! I am soo happy she has all that brain tissue back!

Lisa Christine said...

Kristen...you and I are on the SAME PAGE....I was planning a post this week showing comparisons between Elisabeth's scan....lol

Anyways, what miraculous improvement!

And I love those 3D scans....it's just like seeing a photograph!

Cayman's Daddy said...

Can't you picture that little jaw going up and down sucking on her bottle? :)

Jennifer said...

That's so cool! Yay for all the brain development. It's probably her awesome mommy and how much she works with her. ;)

Diane said...

How awesome is that!! I can't believe how much brain tissue she has developed in only 13 months. Way to go Cayman!!

Diane, Tyler's mom

Anonymous said...

Fantastic to see the difference. I will be getting Violet's MRI CD from her scan this Friday and wanted to compare.

The skull image was something I haven't seen before on imaging. Was that her MRI too?

Kristen said...

Sarah,

The images were all from a CT scan. I guess they can do 3D images with it too.

Shannon said...

AMAZING!! Those are amazing pictures, and what an incredible answer to prayer to see yet another demonstration of how Cayman is thriving! I'm just now catching up on your posts over the past several weeks...each time I think Cayman couldn't possibly get any cuter, you post a pic that proves me wrong...she is such a doll! :)

Anonymous said...

Kristen, I really am amazed at how her drainage is going, you must be very pleased so far. She really is such a miracle!

Oh a CT Scan that 3D image is from...wow...it's amazing to see the shunt like that!

Sarah M said...

So awesome to be able to see the progress she's made in this way. God is so good!