Out of Surgery

Monday, April 13, 2009

The shunt revision went well. Once the Neurosurgeon got in there to disassemble the shunt, and find out what pieces were plugged, he discovered all the parts were working and draining the fluid. There was clearly a build up of pressure in Cayman's head which would indicate her shunt had not been draining. The Neurosurgeon said it's possible that the simple manipulation to the shunt during the surgery could have knocked the blockage loose before they even had the chance to properly inspect it. So he was not able to prove that the shunt was plugged but he feels strongly that that is what happened. So while he had access to the shunt he changed out 2 of the 3 parts of it that were easy to access. The one piece he left was the distal end that goes into her heart since that is a more complicated piece to replace in Cayman.

Cayman is in recovery right now. This is the time when I begin to get very restless. These surgeries just get harder to bear through as she gets older.

Our departure from Cayman before her surgery was difficult. Cayman was brave, much more than I felt. As they wheeled her bed away, she arched her back and tipped her head upward to take one last look at Mike and I. She let out one tiny little grunt and then laid back down comfortably. It was almost as if she was saying, "I'll be just fine Mom and Dad. See you soon."

18 Showin' Comment Love:

Anonymous said...

Big big BIG hugs to you and Mike! You poor things!!! But, she WILL be fine. She told you so.

I will continue to pray for the 3 of you as I know how stressful these things are. ((HUGS)).

Angela said...

Glad to hear things went well and she's in recovery...and that things went as smoothly as such things can go.

Give her a smooch from me :)

*Monica said...

poor girl, I will pray for her straight away. I have been out of town and missed this drama!

Stephanie said...

She is such a strong girl! Glad it went well! Praying for a speedy recovery!

Lisa Christine said...

OH NO! I stay away from the computer for a few days and look what I miss! I am so sorry that Cayman has had to go through this yet again. Take care Stamm family, you are always in our thoughts and prayers.

Beth said...

Break my heart!! I've been waiting for an update - so glad that is went well. Thinking and praying for you all!!!

Kacey Bode said...

Oh Kristen, I got teary reading these past 3 posts. Hadn't been on in a few days. I am SO SORRY that you guys are going through this again. Glad to hear that Cayman is out of surgery and that they didn't have to move the end in her heart. I will pray for you all!!

My name is Sarah said...

We are so relievd to hear that Cayman is out of surgery. What a connection the three of you have. We'll keep praying for things to go well.

Amy J. said...

I am so glad that the blockage was so easily removed. It is never fun to end up in the hospital and especailly in surgery but if things go smoothely that is always a plus. I will continue to pray that she is back to herself in no time!

Sarah M said...

Glad God brought her through another surgery. We'll keep praying for her recovery and that it will hopefully be a long time before she needs any more ER visits or surgery.

Jill S. said...

I've been thinking of you all day today, as we've been busy out and about and not able to get to the computer today until now. Your suspicions were confirmed, which really stinks but reaffirms your parental instinct even more. We're praying for you!!

Jill S. said...

Get well, Cayman!!!

Love Matthew

Jennifer said...

This is the first time I've looked at your blog today. I'm so sorry that you are going through this all again! I'm praying for you and Mike and Cayman!! HUGS!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I sorry to hear Cayman needed another shunt revision so soon.

Really hope this one goes well and sending you lots of love and support from Australia, Love Sarah & Violet xx

Jerry, Tia, Kaiden And Hunter said...

I am glad things went well. There will definately be continued prayer for her recovery and for you guys as I know you must be very tired! Give her hugs and kisses for us and hug each other too!

Sara said...

I am so glad her surgery went well. I will continue to pray for your family though. If you guys need anything please let me know! I am only 1/2 away from Motts!!! Do not hesitate to ask me for anything please!

Michelle said...

Just came home and the first thing I checked was your blog. Great news that she's out and doing fine. *hgus*

Josephine said...

I will continue to pray for you and your brave little girl. She is amazing, and I'm sure she will bounce right back. I'm sorry you're all having to go through this again. I am glad that they didn't have to replace the distal end - one less thing to worry about :)