Finding Rest

Monday, April 13, 2009

Naturally, Cayman was very doped for awhile after her surgery. From recovery she came back to the step down unit again. Cayman's nurse is very attentive to her needs, as well as ours. She insisted Mike and I get a nap while Cayman rested herself. We slept in recliner chairs in a room adjacent from the step down unit. We can't sleep by her bedside here in case they would need to quickly access her. A sleeping parent would get in the way. The recliners were not the most comfortable but after being awake for 30 hours you do not get picky about your sleep, just as long as it can happen.

Two hours later, I woke up to a gentle call of my name. I opened my dry, tired eyes, blinking a few times to focus both my vision and thoughts back to reality. Mike was standing over me with a sweet smile on his face telling me Cayman was awake and playing. He also delivered me the news that he was able to get a room for us at the Med Inn.

We stayed there during Cayman's last hospital stay in October for her heart surgery. It's a hotel that is connected to the hospital and the entrance can be accessed right from the 5th floor, which is where Cayman is at. Last time it made our stay here as comfortable as possible. We could go back to the hotel room, take a short nap or shower, or just get away for a bit without leaving the hospital premises. The downfall to the Med Inn is the expense of the room per night. We do not normally try to get into the Med Inn for that reason, but I want to share a little story because I believe it will bring glory to God and hopefully will not be mistaken for any sort of bragging to our name.

This past week, Mike and I received an unexpected card in the mail with a sweet, sweet letter in it from a couple that we do not know. They wish for their names to remain anonymous. They enclosed a check with the letter saying, they had felt God move in them to give. The amount is enough to cover the hotel and our food expenses here.

My heart is humbled and grateful to my Lord for reminding us He is there every step of the way.

I was sitting here next to Cayman's bedside tonight, rubbing her forehead and praying she would know we are here with her, that she would not feel abandonment in this time. I would imagine she could feel scared. She knows this is not home. She might not understand why she hurts or why her head feels whoozie. There is no way I can explain it to her so she'll understand that she needed that IV, that she needed surgery in order to make things better, that her belly had to go hungry for awhile so the surgery could go smooth. Even though she cannot understand, I wish for her to trust and feel at peace knowing that her Daddy and I are by her side.

My thoughts rested on the faithfulness of my Heavenly Father. Through my emotions, He spoke the same thing to me:

I know you feel scared. I know you do not understand why you have all this pain. Even though I can't explain it to you in a way you'll understand, I hope you will trust and feel peace knowing I am right by your side, never to leave you.

And that is where we rest tonight, in the arms of our loving Jesus!

Thanks for your prayers!!

Kristen

17 Showin' Comment Love:

Jessie said...

You both are GREAT parents!!! Cayman is a lucky girl to have both of you!!! Glad to hear she's doing well.

Debbie said...

I just opened my lap top and have really missed a lot with Cayman. I am so glad the surgery went well...sad that she needed another procedure already, though. Get rest! Cayman is in great hands with her wonderful parents.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Kristen & Mike,

I will keep Cayman in my prayers. I have followed your blog for a while.

Cayman is such a beautiful little girl... I know God will keep her safe.

Mary

Ann said...

Praise God for He is good! What a blessing that you and Mike will be able to stay close to Cayman. Its amazing to see the body of Christ come up and support each other. You are wonderful parents and amazing people. Many blessings!

Stephanie said...

Bless your hearts. Whenever Elisabeth has has a shunt revision she immediately wakes up feeling wonderful..The pain of the malfunction is gone. Cayman may not be able to tell you how much better she feels. Heavenly Father really does watch over each of us. Give CAyman a hug for me.

Amy J. said...

I am so glad she is well. I am always so touched when perfect strangers give to those in need. I had a similar experience when we were at the RMH in Seattle and it blew me away that someone would send us money just like that. They must be inspired because the money always seems to come at just the right time. Those people are truly Christlike.

Jill S. said...

So glad you are able to stay at the hospital! What a blessing to have your stay already taken care of. The Lord is so good as to give you what you need before you even know you need it! What an awesome God we serve. We're praying for Cayman and hope you all get to go home soon!

Hamza Zakir said...

good to hear everything went well for Cayman! will be praying for here.....

Tara said...

Bless all your hearts!! I really hope you all get some rest and little miss feels better soon! As they get older it gets so much harder! Hang in there you can do it!

Mary said...

The power of prayer never ceases to amaze me. I'm so relieved to hear you and Mike have been able to get a little rest. I've activated my prayer chain for you guys.

Lisa Christine said...

Kristen, what a lovely post. Your faith never wavers and your strength continues to inspire.

I am so glad that you shared the story of the generous people who sent you the money. It's stories like those that make more people want to 'pay it forward'.

I am so, so sorry that Cayman has had to go through another surgery. She has been in my thoughts the whole day through.

I am glad that you are able to stay at a hotel where you will be comfortable and be able to rest. That is som important during stressful times.

I wish there were more I can do to help....but all I can offer is love and prayer.

Take care Stamm Family :)

Cayman's Daddy said...

Thank you all for your prayers and comments. Kristen and I (and Cayman) feel all the love and support very strongly.

Cayman has slept peacefully through the night for the first time in over a week. :) Hopefully back home today!

KellyB3 said...

So glad you were able to get some sleep, and so close to Cayman. She is blessed to have such wonderful parents as the 2 of you are.

There truly are good, kind, generous people out there. How nice that you were touched by someone like that. The 3 of you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sherri said...

Kristen- I am so sorry to hear about this! Since I don't have my computer, I just found out today :( I'm so sad that she has had to have another revision, but so thankful that it went smoothly. I will be praying for strength and healing for the whole family. HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow...what a wonderful story. I am keeping you all in my prayers.

*Monica said...

amen amen and amen!!