Let's Move It, Move It

Monday, March 2, 2009

Cayman has always been very content just to lay on her back, with no ambition to move and explore the world outside of her reach. I worried that she was too content and that would stop her from going forward developmentally.

I have played with Cayman on the floor doing lots of activities the physical therapist has shown us. Cayman would severely fuss and be the most happy to return to her back.

We have viewed Cayman independently sit for a few seconds at a time, roll from back to tummy, and from tummy to back. Then she stopped. She didn't roll for weeks. She refused to try and sit by herself. We saw she was physically strong enough to do more than what she desired to. She was just content to view the world from her back.

It's a fine balance, as a parent, between pushing and accepting.

Awhile ago, I decided to back off from exercising Cayman's motor skills and not get caught up in how far she is falling behind. I never want her to associate important milestones like sitting up or tummy time as a negative experience. So I joined Cayman in being content. I told myself that someday she will get there. Slowly, but surely she will begin to move and explore the world....someday. Until then I will enjoy having my baby be a "baby" for a little longer than most. It's actually quite special. I will cherish the moments where she just wants to be cuddled close instead of too busy moving and playing about.

This past week we have proudly watched Cayman go from content, laying on her back to strongly desiring to move. She rolls herself onto her tummy, lifts her head higher than she ever has, tries to push up onto her arms, and she even tries to bring her knees in under her {I think that is what all that butt wiggling action is}. Here's a video of that:

**note: you'll hear Madison and Mike in the background-"arguing", playing, and being silly. They are quite the goofballs.

23 Showin' Comment Love:

Anonymous said...

God's goodness and Cayman's spirit brings tears to my ears. She is soooo adorable!!! XOXOXO to our precious angel!

Anonymous said...

Cute and strong! What a combination!

Unknown said...

Omgosh!!!! AWESOME job Cayman!!! The pics are soooooooo sweet! she is soooooooo cute! :D

Kendra said...

Isn't it amazing what God does when we choose to be content and wait on Him? She's such a cutie!

Jill S. said...

I am giggling so hard watching Cayman wiggle that booty!!! She is so sweet and happy! And way to go Cayman! We're so proud of you!

Dear Cayman,

Thank you, thank you for the sweet balloon and little gorilla toy! I love it so much. Mommy is going to take a picture of it later when she gets her camera. Tell your mommy to keep you well because the hospital stinks very much and they are not nice to you here. Noone around here knows that a sick baby needs to sleep at night. I just want to go home and sleep in my own bed, but they won't let me.
I promise to you that none of these nurses are half as cute as you, and my lips are waiting only for you (I only share them with my mommy and daddy)!

Matthew

Jill S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

way to go Cayman!!
She's going be all over before you know it Kris!!
And I have to say, that last picture u posted of her is precious!!! What a smile she has!!!!

I also had to note, Mike saying..."well, u don't get a choice" and Madi saying, "ugh, would you just do it......FOR ME??" so so cute!! I could see where those 2 could go on for hours with each other!! Madison is such a nut!! :-)
Valerie

Sherri said...

Hilarious comment from Jill :)
I love her little legs moving!! I can totally relate to what you said about being able to enjoy your baby being a baby a little longer than most!

Lisa Christine said...

By the looks of that video, Cayman will be getting around on her own soon! And now that she has a big new house to explore, she has just the incentive to do it!
Way to go Cayman!

BTW....I just read Matthews 'love letter' to Cayman. So cute!

Anonymous said...

Does Cayman have a boyfriend?? hehe.

Anonymous said...

Love the photos of Cayman, beautiful!

Thanks also for sharing the video, I think she is one determined little lady!

Jennifer said...

Look at her go! She is such a beautiful girl. Her sweet smile makes me melt. :c)

My name is Sarah said...

Wow are you getting strong Cayman. And so, so cute.

Diane said...

I just love the 'butt wiggle" move. She is going to all over the place in no time.

Diane, Tyler's mom

Sara said...

LOL she is doing soo good. kadyn is slowly just starting to not want to do these things anymore. So I have given up on "forcing" it on him. He is happier.

I did have to watch the video twice though. Mike and Madison made me crack up that i was laughing and my eyes were closed. hehe.

Krissy said...

Oh my gosh, Cayman is SOOOO cute! I love that last photo!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Cayman! You'll be chasing her in no time!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I have commented before and will continue to do so!! Cayman is a DOLL! I love the new pictures and I love how far she has come. I believe, she will conquer all, in her own time!

Your blog is close to my heart for many reasons. One being that my cousin's son is six years old and had a diagnosis of Agenesis of the corpus callosum, shortly after birth. He is doing great. Another reason, I'm just hooked on Miss Cayman!

Hugs,
Joany, from Michigan

Kristen said...

Joany, from Michigan

Thanks for commenting..and thanks for caring.

Anonymous said...

That smile just melts my heart! She's doing great. :o)

*Monica said...

If she were standing that would be some serious jumping!!!

Go Cayman!

Tina said...

Your girl is GORGEOUS!!

Anonymous said...

Her smile in the 2nd picture is so cute! Keep up the good work Cayman :)