Fitted for a Helmet

Friday, January 16, 2009

Yesterday we took Cayman to an Orthotics Doctor. He evaluated her head shape and measured her for a helmet. The idea of the helmet is to reshape her head so it's more round and smooth. Ideally, a baby should be younger than what Cayman is for this procedure to be more effective but the doctor still wants to try since Cayman is not a typical Hydrocephalus baby.

Those were his words.

When we asked him what he meant by that, he explained that Cayman's head shape is very different than that of a regular hydrocephalus case. The edge of Cayman's skull bones are very dominant and create a ridge that can be easily viewed and palpitated. If you look at Cayman's pictures you can see one of these ridges in the middle of her forehead. The doctor does not know why it is like that or if the appearance of these bony ridges can be lessened. He said he's never seen that before and wondered if it's another genetic mutation.

Great! Will there ever be an end to their findings?


***Maybe I should warn everyone...I get sarcastic when I'm very short nerved, which is how I've been lately, just ask my husband. Wait!! I take that back!! Don't ask him!! He just might be too honest. :o)***


There is a small possibility the helmet could help Cayman's head shape. We won't know unless we try. And if it doesn't work, oh well. That's minor.

Cayman was very entertaining while the doctor measured her head. She laughed, smiled, talked, and bounced while I held her on my lap. She did not mind one bit that someone was messing with her head.

The Dr. first put a stocking hat on Cayman and then covered it with dots.
Then he put a black "cape" over Cayman so the laser could pick up on only the white stocking hat and dots.Then he waved a laser gun (it looked like something from a video game) all over Cayman's head and the image was perfectly inputted onto the monitor.It will take a couple weeks for the helmet to be made.

16 Showin' Comment Love:

Anonymous said...

She looks so cute. The expressions on her face are priceless! I hope you are all staying warm.

Anonymous said...

I think Cayman's head is normal and all other baby's look messed up...

Amy J. said...

I love your husbands comment!

I can not believe what they can do with modern technology!

She is such a doll.

Anonymous said...

She is a little doll no matter what! I love the pictures!

I think sometimes Doctor's think outloud. They're, at times, talking text books! Good and bad I suppose.

Joany (Michigan)
cp: carlyscarepage100

Carla said...

I have to second Cayman's daddy's comment. Actually, her head looks alot like my Little Man's head!
Thank you so much for posting this. Our neurosurgeon has referred us to a "helmet dr." for my son & was wondering what it all would entail. I really appreciate your sharing. And Cayman is too cute in that cape!

*Monica said...

She looks like she is at the salon getting highlights!! She always looks so dang happy. I love her!

Kendra said...

She is so cute in that cap! I want to squeese her and snuggle her!

Lisa Christine said...

Kristen, I don't know if you've noticed, but Elisabeth has those same ridges! So going along with what your husband said, I think that Elisabeth and Cayman are the normal ones and all the other hydro babies aren't typical :)

Ann said...

Wow that is so amazing to see what they can do. Cayman is way cute. She seems like such a happy little girl, what a blessing.

If I can convince my husband that we should move to Alaska you, Mike, and Cayman should totally come and visit. I do recommend coming in the summer before braving winter :)

Mary said...

Wow that is amazing technology. She is pretty stinkin cute no matter what shape. Not everyone has the personality to pull off all the things our kiddos do.

Tara said...

we did that for michelle. She had whats called scaphocephaly. She wore the helmet constantly. It worked great! And she was over a year when we started. They said the same thing about Michelle that she was not the normal hydrocephalus case... Her head shaped right back to normal....

Anonymous said...

Such a cutie!!! That cap really 'brings out' her cheeks :o).
What an enjoyment for that doc to have Cayman respond in such a fun and happy manner!!! Just another person that her precious life has blessed! XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

She is so cute!! I love Cayman's Daddy's comment...too sweet! I hope all goes well. Olivia hates going to the orthopedist...the saw they use to cut off her casts to make her orthotics scares the crap out of her...Cayman looked like she was having a ball!

Beth said...

I love "Cayman's Daddy's" comment - he's right! She's beautiful!!!! But like you said - if you don't try - you don't know. Good luck to you guys!

Audrey Sue's Mommy said...

What is a "typical Hydrocephalus baby"?
I'm the same way and get really sarcastic but my husband may use another term... ;)
She looks like she had some fun playing dress up! She is so adorable and seems to really be thriving.

my life: said...

Grace got her helmet at 13 months of age...all the cool girls wear 'em! :0)
These pictures took me right back...