Story hour

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Remember when I wrote in this post:

I'm sure I'll have interesting stories to blog about our stay at the duplex.

Here's a story I thought I would share with you even though it reveals the dramatic side of me.

My first morning at the Taj, I woke up very early, mostly because I did not sleep well but also because I needed to pump (yep, I'm still doing that!). It was a very cold, windy day. With the wind chill it was 10 degrees below zero ("shut up Tammi...I know what you are thinking!!").

I was sitting on the love seat listening to the eerie sounds of the wind blowing in the dark outdoors. The unfamiliar sounds of the duplex echoed the creepiness of the winter storm. The lights flickered twice. I sat very still, holding my breath, hoping the power was not about to go out. I let out a sigh, relieved that the lights stopped flickering and remained on. Everything was OK.

Suddenly there was a muffled voice coming from the kitchen. I froze! Once again I held my breath and deeply concentrated on the voice. The wind continued to violently blow outside making the words spoken from the kitchen hard to detect. I could make out that it was a recording. I quickly scanned my memory of what electronics were in the kitchen. The microwave...The stove...Refrigerator. That's it! The wind quieted just enough so I could hear the recorded voice from the kitchen say...

self-destruct

My fight or flight defense completely shut down and I froze, too scared to move. I hollered for Mike, who was still asleep in bed. His foot hit each step down the stairs very heavy and with a concerned tone asked, "What's wrong?!"

I quickly explained it to him...

dark

windy

lights flickering

voice

self-destruct

Mike calmly took a deep breath in, raised his eyebrows, gave me a silly grin, and led me into the kitchen. He walked over to the edge of the counter where the telephone sat. He pulled the power cord out of the wall, plugged it back in, and said "Listen. Is this what you heard?"

I stood there for a few seconds waiting. Nothing happened.

All of a sudden the same recorded voice played...

Press the review key to set up self instructions.

Ohhh...so it was "self instructions" not "self destruction".

Hehehehehehehehehehe

11 Showin' Comment Love:

Audrey Sue's Mommy said...

HAHAHA!!! I would have ripped the pump from my friends, ran hard and fast upstairs to hide under my blanket!!! So funny!!!

Anonymous said...

another reason why Mike married you....never a dull moment!

Shannon said...

HAHAHA! I agree with Sweetest Girl, my "ladies" would probably have been nearly ripped off (because I'm sure I would not have had the presence-of-mind to break the suction first) as I raced madly up the stairs!
P.S. LOVE the pictures of Cayman in the drawer. :)

Ann said...

Oh goodness that is too funny. And for the record I totally would have had the same reaction.

*Monica said...

what a crack up!

Anonymous said...

the fact that you called Mike for help kinda weakens the stories eeriness...couldnt have been that bad if you are gonna ask Mike for protection.......just messin Mike, love you guys and see you Thursday...

P.S. My gift is gonna be way cooler than yours, and not just because its from me

Tara said...

Oh my gosh! That is so great! Ok you got me on the staring dog... Now I just have to figure out what im going to do with this GIGANTIC teddy bear... He's a little creepy looking... Im thinking attic for him.. LOL!

Anonymous said...

So you don't want me to tell you it's been in the high 50's all week? That's cold to us!! :O)
This is a classic Kristen story.. it made my day!! It remindes me of the "folding socks" story!!! I love you and hope you guys have a great Christmas - we sent you something in the mail - but you might not get it till after Christmas - I sent it to your old address cause I didn't have the new one so hopefully they will forward it! Love you guys and give Cayman big hugs and kisses from us!

Rashel and A.D. said...

LoL, that is a great story, I'm sure this place will give you many more! Have a great Christmas!

Jennifer said...

That is the funniest thing I've heard all day!!!! You are so brave to sit there and yell for Mike! ha ha

Kacey Bode said...

That is HILARIOUS!!!