Selective Hearing

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

There's been a lot of questioning about how well Cayman can hear. We find ourselves testing her all the time. We'll sneak up along side of her and whisper in her ear and wait for her to turn towards us. Sometimes she responds but most of the time she does not. We'll clap our hands or play the sounds of a familiar toy outside of her view and wait for her to search for it. Rarely she seeks out the noise. Her facial expressions tell us that she is hearing it. She becomes very still, eyebrows will even raise, and her breath slows down til she's almost holding it as she deeply concentrates.

Recently I've been mixing it up with a sound I know she should be familiar with. That is the sound of her milk bottle being shaken. I've taken her bottle without her seeing it and put it up to her ear and shook it. She turns right towards it almost every time, especially if she's hungry.

Is there a treatment for selective hearing? And if there is can they treat Mike too? Hehe. He's probably going to kill me when he reads this later. :o)

"I love you Mike!"

11 Showin' Comment Love:

Tara said...

Can I tell you that I would LOVE to find a cure for selective hearing! My kids and my husband all have it!!!! I love them though!

Kendra said...

If you find out there is, let me know. I would like it for Eric as well! :)

Sherri said...

Ha! Let me know if you find a "treatment" :)
What a clever idea with the milk bottle!!

Shannon said...

I think there are several selective-hearing sufferers in our home...haha! Good thinking with the milk bottle!

Ann said...

If you find a cure for selective hearing pass it along! My husband and 3 year old could use it!

Mary said...

You could make millions on that if you find a cure. I'll be your first cutomer.

Sara said...

I think selective hearing just comes with the whole guy package :-) lol. Kadyn has his selective hearing too, he only responds to things he cares most about, i mean the thing, his bottle being shooken...oh and when he hears the bath water running. Plus i think im going to research the cure for it now...lol

Kacey Bode said...

HILARIOUS!!! Let me know if you find the cure!!

I remember always testing Ella's hearing too. I specifically remember after she was born and we were still in the hospital they had told me that she failed her hearing test. They let her room in with me the first night and I kept turning the speaker on the remote for the TV up full blast and putting it up to her ear,(poor baby) and I got no response what so ever. Man I was freaked out.

Have they said anything about Cayman having fluid in her ears? That was Ella's problem, and they were too small to even see in them but she always failed the tymphanogram and finally at 15 months she got tubes in her ears. We noticed a huge difference in her. She still has not passed a hearing test but she hears.

Lisa Christine said...

Selective hearing is a problem ot our house too. We will call and call the girls and they act like they don't hear us. So sometimes we get sneaky and say "Who wants ice cream??" They come running, "me, me!!" And then we drop the bomb that it was just a question, we don't really have any. Mean...yes. But it sure sets us up to have a good lecture with the girls on responding to us when we call.

Angela said...

As I am one of those people who frequently relies on selective hearing to make sure I stay cozy in my own version of reality I beg and plead that you do NOT search for a cure. I repeat do NOT! I just might have to move you off of my "Favorite Cousin EVER" list if you do.

I'm just saying...
I like it here...
my own version of reality :)

“I reject your reality and substitute it for my own.”-Adam Savage

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an epidemic especially among the male gender