What to Say, what Not to Say

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The point of this post is to be informative and perhaps educational on how to talk to a parent of a special needs child. It is NOT to make anyone feel bad or bash those that have been in an awkward situation. I was hoping by compiling this list it could perhaps eliminate some of that awkwardness. I myself never knew or understood how to address myself in the presence of a special needs child before Cayman came.

Do I look at them? Will they think I'm staring? Will they think I'm rude? Do I smile, should I maybe not look at all?

By no means, am I mad that people do not know how to always react to us as a parent of a special needs child nor know how to react directly to Cayman. Sometimes I'm still shy and don't always know how to approach another family with a disabled child. I desire for people to know how to approach us though. I can understand the shunt is very odd looking and Cayman's head is not round. Sometimes people pretend they do not see Cayman at all and that is very sad to this proud mama that I am. But I can understand that not unless you have experienced this side of it you might not know what to do.

So I have compiled this list hoping to inform people on how to talk to a parent of a special needs child or directly to the child. In this list, some are our experiences and some are from other parents with a special needs child. I have a lot of faith in humanity, that if perhaps people realize what they say or do hurts then they would probably do it differently.

Things NOT to say to a special needs parent:

  • Never, EVER, EVER use the word "retarded", no matter what, medically or to describe something stupid. It hurts just the same. Most likely the parent won't correct you but know that inside they are crying. If they aren't crying inside most likely they are in visioning themselves slapping you silly :o).
  • Do NOT say "What is wrong with him/her?" That will put the parent in defensive mode and they will not want to continue the conversation. Nothing is "wrong" with Cayman, God just made her special.
  • Don't say "Will he/she grow up to be 'normal'?" If the child has a condition that is not something that they will grow out of, this is HARD for a parent to explain and even HARDER for them to be reminded of it. If it's a baby, their development rarely can be accurately predicted so a parent cannot even answer this question. The parent then feels unless they can say "Yes my child will be 'normal'" you are "saying" he/she is not acceptable.
  • Don't stare and if you accidentally find yourself staring and the parent/child catches you, then smile WARMLY AND SINCERELY. Do not give the "poor baby...poor baby" look. Or even worse, look away quickly as if you are trying to pretend you did not see them at all.
  • Children are often curious about people with disabilities. Or perhaps we're all very curious but a child's innocence often brings them loudly asking what we adults are wondering only in our minds. If you find your child asking questions about the special needs child in the room don't just make up an answer. Chances are the parent has heard your child's questions anyways. It is best to approach the special needs parent very KINDLY and say "My son is interested in your child, can you tell us about her?" This is a genuine question and most parents of a disabled child would not object to such a question. They probably have done it before. It's actually very disturbing to the special needs parent to hear the other parent tell their child to be quiet or show embarrassment at their child's questions. Parents who do this are sending out the message to their child that different is not acceptable.
  • If you are approaching a parent just because you are nosy...don't even bother. A special needs child is not a "freak show". Only do so out of genuine interest. If you do approach and the parent gives short, sweet, and quick answers take the hint and politely end the conversation. Sometimes and some days it's just too much to go into a child's problems and likely they have done it more times than they can count. Some days they just want to feel "normal" too. But don't let this make you shy completely away from approaching a special needs family. Just be respectful and mindful that short answers are your que to not keep asking more questions.
  • Never ask these questions:
    • Didn't you have the blood tests when you were pregnant?
    • Did you consider having an abortion?
    • How long do you expect him/her to live?
    • I'm sure you're glad your other child is normal?
    • Is it hereditary then?
    • Will you be having any more children?
    • What will you do when she's too big to manage?
  • Never say to a parent "It's such a shame". Being a parent of a special needs child is certainly full of lots of emotions but shame is not one of them.
  • Do not EVER say to a parent of a special needs child "We are so blessed to have healthy children." Here is what that parent will think, "So, I guess God didn't want to bless me with healthy children. Wow, God, what did I do?" or "So, my child isn't healthy...does that mean I wasn't blessed by God?"
  • Do not say to the parent "I don't know what I'd ever do if this happened to me."
  • Don't say to the parent, especially in front of the special needs child, what a saint the parent is, or how hard life must be for them. This actually is pointing out your assumption that the disabled child is a huge burden.
This is how to appraoch a special needs child and their parent:
  • Treat the child like you would any kid their age. Talk to the child directly. If they can't talk the parent will answer you.
  • Compliment them on their eyes, hair, smile, outfit, ANYTHING. That always starts things off right.
  • If you are inquiring because there is someone close to you that has a disability somewhat like that child's, make sure to mention that. It puts the parent at ease and fast. Usually they will be much more forthcoming with information and understand your motive for asking.
  • If you MUST ask "what is wrong" with the child say "Does he/she have a diagnosis?" or "What is your baby's story?" I was asked this way before and for some reason it was much nicer than "what's wrong with her." Do not start the conversation off with this statement though, use the compliments first. :o)
I hope this can help you not feel so awkward the next time you are in the presence of a special needs family. Perhaps, after an outing, they just might go home feeling like they had a great day because people treated them so well.

Thanks for reading my long post today. This one is particularly very meaningful to me.

God bless you!!

11 Showin' Comment Love:

Anonymous said...

Well stated! I have often joked with close friends about writing a book of things not to say. Your version is a lot nicer than mine. What I find difficult or strange is the fact that even though I have a son with Down syndrome I don't feel comfortable talking to other parents. I met my friend Kasey because she was outgoing enough to mention something about my son's toe looking just like her Ella's. She new he had DS and wanted to meet our family. I'm not sure why I'm not brave or comfortable enough to do this because I do love to visit with other families I just hate the beginning part. I've always joked that I don't play well with others. I think too that Down Syndrome is well researched and documented and our kiddos have some pretty recognizable physical features - it sometimes makes me feel like we got the easy "special kid" and that I don't have much to releate to a mom of kiddo with serious health issues. I truely don't understand what is like to sit in the waiting room and wonder if your child will make it through the surgery this time. I don't know if this makes any sense at all - I find myself rambling but I do truely appreciate you sharing your journey. I love hearing others stories and seeing the world through another eyes. We all have such a unique story to tell but with so many similarities.

Sherri said...

Oh, boy do I hear you! I think in "adults" attempt not to be rude- they are often the opposite. Obviously there is something different about our children- I just wish that adults would have the courage to respond the way that children do! I do not find it offensive whatsoever when a little kid points to Miles' shunt and says "what is that?" it's honest. I would much rather educate someone about shunts and hydrocephalus than deal with stares and then the *quick look away*. It's like they don't want to get caught looking at Miles. I have one adult friend who handles things like this perfectly (I often think she must have had to deal with a lot of awkward situations in her life). From the beginning when we first found out something was wrong she didn't avoid me and discussing the new baby- she asked tons of questions! I truly appreciated this. What I find most hurtful is the people who are actually pretty close to us who have not taken the time to find out what is going on with our son. One person actually told me she was praying for him to look more normal! I told her straight out- well we don't care what he looks like, you can pray for his brain tissue to grow! As you can see- this is a touchy subject with us Moms!

Anonymous said...

Being a special needs teacher I absolutely loved reading your blog today! I never know what advice to give or even the correct way to approach a parent, even with all of the schooling. I have never been so bold as to ask a parent their opinions! I hope everyone reading this takes it to heart and makes sure to never treat the parent or child with discrimination based on a special need or a disability. From what I have seen such children are HUGE blessings from God! Cayman is adorable and I wish I had been able to come to the benefit to meet her. Maybe sometime when I am back in town I can meet her!
Hope

Lisa Christine said...

Wow....what a post! So much great information.
In my experience, the most hurtful thing has been for people to ignore Elisabeth. Pretend she isn't there. I want her to be oohed and aahed over, just like any other baby would be. There has only been 1 time that an adult has asked me what her shunt was. I was so excited! It was so refreshing for someone to feel comfortable enough to ask about her. I was not at all offended. I can only imagine the countless numbers of people of have seen Elisabeth and wondered 'what in the world is wrong with her head' or 'what is that huge bump?'. I would much rather have the chance to explain about a shunt than have people never know.
Elisabeth's blindness is causing new awkward situations. People that come up and want to talk to her, or wave at her, usually make up an excuse for why they get no reaction. Usually they say, 'oh, she must be tired'. Many times I let it go at that. I agree and say, 'yes, she's had a big day.' They never know she is blind. Depending on the situation though, or the person, I'll explain that she can't see because she is blind. The immediate reaction is always 'oh, i'm so sorry'. To which I tell them that there is nothing to be sorry about, it's just the way she is.
Ok, I've have gone on way to long for a comment. Great post, great advice.

Kendra said...

My heart breaks for you having insensitive thngs said and done. Cayman is the most precious gift God gave you, and for anyone not to see that, they are crazy. I will be the first to admit that I would be one of the awkward people that loves to meet these special kids, but isn't quite sure how to approach a special needs family, so it's nice to hear from you some good ideas. You and Mike have an amazing testimony, and to see your love for each other, God, and Cayman is truly inspiring. I love you all three! :)

Sara said...

I am totally just so happy now. This post made my day, not only is it 100% true, but its right on to pretty much everything i have been asked. I have a cute story that ill write in my blog about what children can say. Anyways thank you for this REFRESHING post. :)

Hope Cayman is being good for ya :-)

Anonymous said...

Our minister's focus point for a sermon he preached recently I thought was very fitting for your comments. God never makes a mistake. And he made everyone of us. None of us are a mistake or accident. We were designed with purpose and meaning. God loves YOU!

Kacey Bode said...

YEAH what you said!!! I have discovered since the birth of Ella that people feel the need to say something. Often that something is stupid and hurtful. I think you should print this out on little buisness cards and hand it out next time someone says something stupid to you : ) Like my friend Mary said, you put things much nicer than I do!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the education. Even though I'm in the medical field and know what to ask/say at work...in public I don't want to say the wrong thing.

Stacie W.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the list I wouldn't know what to say. I wondered a lot of the things on the do not ask list. That is probably why most people don't ask questions in public they don't want to say the wrong thing.

Cayman is a cute little cousin. I'm glad to see she is doing so well.

Kristin said...

Thank you for this! I found your blog through my friend Ann, I hope you don't mind. I've been reading about Cayman and I wanted to say Hi and tell you about my blog. My daughter has a condition called Goldenhar Syndrome that is also a cranio-facial abnormality. I'd love to keep reading if that's okay. I have been looking for other mom's of special needs children to connect to.

Kristin