Another Ann Arbor Day

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Today was another Ann Arbor day. But it wasn't all day like what was planned. I have been very sick this past week. It started out with the flu - fever, aches, vomitting, now it's turned into a horrible head cold. So we did not meet with the Neonatologist or the Pediatric Surgeon because I was just not up to it. We had our last routine ultrasound and then my regular checkup appointment. The fluid in her head increased and her head grew insize too. For my own records and for those of you that read these for the hydrocephalus facts, I am 37 weeks and Cayman's head circumference is 42.9 cm. Her two ventricles measure at 4.5 cm and 3.7 cm. For those of you that don't understand these numbers any better than I use to here's what they mean: a normal baby's ventricles should measure 1 cm or less. And a newborn girl's head circumference range should be 32.2 to 38.2. The amount of fluid in Cayman's head puts her condition in the severe range. We try hard to not let this discourage us and focus on the positive parts such as: her strong little heartbeat, which was 162 today, and her healthy active movements. She was quite the little drama queen today, constantly putting her hand up to her forehead. And she has chubby kisser cheeks. I was shocked when they estimated her weight to be 8 lbs 12 oz!! No wonder my ribs hurt!! Her stomach condition (Duodenal Atresia or "double bubble") is not allowing much fluid to move through her GI system. This has caused there to be an increased amount of amniotic fluid which puts me at greater risk for an earlier labor, which is why the doctor wanted to move up the C-section date. So, now instead of it being on the 18th, it's March 12th. I'm releaved because I'm in so much discomfort. The doctor said the increased amount of amniotic fluid is likely contributing to my discomfort in my abdomen. She is a bit concerened about my head cold and I might not be fully over it by time of the surgery. Just pray that I am! It won't stop them from doing the C-section, it will just make me that much more miserable. My checkup ended with some if-y news. I may be in the beginning stages of Preclampsia. They took my blood work and everything checked out ok with my liver and kidney, but my platelets were low, the levels of protein in my urine were high, and my blood pressure was a bit on the high side. They asked me if I had a headache and blurred vision. I laughed as I said "yeah" in a tone that sounded just like snuffalufagus. But who doesn't have a headache and some blurred vision when their head is full of crap?! So for some reason I have to go back on Monday, which is just 2 days before the C-section. They'll put the baby on a moniter and check her out, take more blood and do the whole checkup to make sure the thoughts of Preclampsia don't keep presenting itself. I'm not sure if I should go with my bag packed just in case they decide to do the C-section then or not. Right now I'm just too tired to think about anything. I motion to make a law that when one is pregnant they should not go through stress or get sick, because afterall, isn't growing a baby enough to zap everything within ya.

8 Showin' Comment Love:

Lisa Christine said...

March 12th!!!! wow..that is less than a week!! I am so excited for you. Hopefully 6 days will be enough to recover. Are you still going to have your baby shower this weekend?
I would definately pack your bags when you go up. If they do decide to take the baby you will want to have everything ready to go. I had my bag all packed and in the car weeks before the delivery...side by side with the cord blood collection kit.
Thanks again for the hat. You are amazing.
Good luck, I'll be thinking of you and anxiously awaiting pictures of that dear baby girl!

Anonymous said...

I would pack your bag! I had the same thing when I went to my OB she sent me right over to the hospital and I stayed there until 4 days later when they did my c-section.. remember all the phone calls - we think he will come tonight - for sure by the morning! :) Just think that was only one year ago! :) Keegan and Cayman's birthdays will only be 4 days apart! We can celebrate together! :) That means you need to move out here! :) We love you!! I can't wait to meet Cayman!

Sarah M said...

So sorry to hear about the cold and the news about Cayman, though I'm sure you won't mind being done with pregnancy soon! And I agree with you-pregnant women shouldn't have to deal with anything other than pregnancy! But at least God helps make us strong to handle it. In general women's pain tolerance is 9 times stronger than men's.

I agree also about bringing your bag with you on Monday. Better safe than sorry. You'll have plenty to deal with after the birth so even though you are tired it will be easier to do stuff now rather than later. See you tomorrow, I hope.

Anonymous said...

Kristen & Mike, you guys are going to be parents soon! How exciting... and even sooner than expected. I can't wait to see pictures of the beautiful Cayman!!! Andy & I are continuing to pray for Cayman and you both. Cayman's picture sits on our nightstand right beside our bed so I see her everyday. We are praying your nasty cold goes away too Kristen! Yuck!

By the way...I've been meaning to leave you a comment for so long. I think the website you have made is beautiful and helps everyone understand a bit more and know what exactly to pray for!! I love knowing how things are going for you both when we are 4 hours apart.

Stay strong and I can't wait to get a call from Grandma to hear the wonderful news! Just a few more days!

Lisa Christine said...

Kristen- It's a boppy. Isn't it fabulous! I got it at my baby shower last August....they probably still make that design. Do you have a boppy? Definately get one...they are multi functional!

tharker said...

6 more days!!! That is so exciting! Hang in there, the pregnancy is almost over, and then you will get to see your sweet baby. There really is nothing more exciting!

Anonymous said...

Six more days!!! Pack your bag and get as much rest as you possibly can. I know, I remember how challening it is to get rest at this point. We're "The Tuck's" are very excited for you, Mike and little Cayman. I'll be checking this site for your updates! :)

Anonymous said...

That comment wasn't supposed to be anonymous. It's me, Jennifer Tuck!!!