Healthy Toddler-ness

Thursday, September 16, 2010


Cayman may not toddle but she is every bit as busy as the stereotypical Toddler is. It makes things a little crazy around here.

Already this morning...

~She has colored on a DVD case with a crayon.
~Pulled my hair. Twice.
~Thrown my cell phone behind the couch.
~Spit out her breakfast, turned to me and signed "eat". I guess she did not approve of what I served.
~Tried to bend her glasses in half.
~Unfolded the pile of bath towels.
~Climbed on top of the back of the couch. I rescued her quickly.
~And turned her bottle upside down and watched it drip its contents onto the carpet.

Phew. Crazy morning.

My mom has always said, "An active, ornery kid is the sign of a healthy kid."

Well then, I will take the gift of 'crazy' any day!

After all, it is pretty amazing.

Eating some breakfast in the living room while watching 'Signing Times'. We live dangerously, I know. But not too dangerous, after all it is only a little bowl of dry cereal.

25 Showin' Comment Love:

Josephine said...

Hehe :) I love that pic of her looking like such a cheeky little monkey!

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

I used to watch "Signing Times" with the boys I used to nanny. The first sign they remembered? "Cookie" of course! haha I quickly introduced them to "No." <3

Tara said...

Such a cute little girl you have there.

Abigail has learned how to open doors and empty contents out of the closet this morning... Currently im trying to find a new home for the markers...

The James Family said...

Cayman looks so cute in that picture - you can just see it on her face "what can I do next..." I love it - jusst wait till you have two - it will be double crazy but VERY worth it!! Love you!!

Beth said...

OMG - she gets cuter with every picture!!!!!! I'd take the crazy too!

Grandma S said...

She knows you could never get mad with a face as sweet as hers. Let's hope she's just as ornery when her dad gets home.

Lisa Christine said...

That looks so much like the table and chair set in Lorelai and Elisabeth's room! Of course, I doubt yours is 30 something years old :)

Where did you find that one? I wouldn't mind getting a few extra chairs for ours.

Mrs. Smith said...

Such a big girl! I love the pj's!!! Wow, how blessed you are! Congrats on discovering your little one is a healthy baby boy! There must be a lot of excitement at your house these days! Much love to you all!

Mary said...

Love it! So cute!!!

Tommie said...

Such sweet 'craziness.' May your mornings always bring this sort of craziness if they mean health is good.

Sara said...

I can't help but love her cute smile. She is full of so much personality! :)

Audrey Sue's Mommy said...

I have to be on high alert while folding laundry. Always on the lookout for a tiny hands to swoop in and mess all my neat piles up!
She is too cute sitting at her little table eating breakfast!

Joyce said...

I see ornery written all over that adorable face:) I love that little table and chair. Where did you find that?

Diane said...

She looks so big sitting at her little table. It's just her size.

Anonymous said...

yep, sounds like your average toddler:) And so incredibly cute!

Jill S. said...

Love her cute little table. Matches her absolute cuteness! She is definately showing her toddler 'tude. Warms my heart!

Bugg's mama said...

First off, a big whoppin' congratulations on your BOY!!!!!!!!

oh, so wonderful!

I'm so glad that you recognize that it is really awesome to have a child that can explore and go and do and make a mess! Treasure it.

xoxox, Bree

Kendra said...

She looks like such a little grown-up girl!! That grin is pure ornery.

Kristen said...

Lisa,

The table and chair could be 30 something years old. I bought it off of Craigslist used. When I got it, it was a medium wood stain color with a whole lot of scratches, dings, and even a crack. But with a little bit of wood glue, sanding and painting it looks much better now. And I love that chair with the back that curves around into sides. I feel safer with Cayman sitting in it. It came with only one chair and I too would like to have more chairs like it.

Colette said...

Am so pleased everything is going so well with your pregnancy and that Caymen is keeping good too .. she is soooo adorable!! I love checking in for updates and love the videos too! I've wondered if you would ever consider doing YouTube videos, they are a great way of journaling your family and a preganancy vlog as they are known would be great? Also they can generate some income which is a little bonus. Anyways either way I love checking in to see how ye are all keeping and wish you every health and happiness, its amazing how quickly Caymen seems to be growing up now since I first found your blog! Cute and adorable as always! :)

Tiffany said...

She is such a toddler!! And, again, I ask you...how do you get your pictures so clear!!! Also, do you read the Signing Times lady's blog? It's a great one.

Kristen said...

Tiffany,

If you're having trouble getting your pictures clear and you're using your 50 mm 1/8f it might be for a couple reasons. It could be something else but this is what comes to my mind. The 50 mm 1.8f lens can be a tricky at getting sharp pictures but when it does it does it well. If the aperature is open all the way to 1.8 you have to have a pretty steady hand to get the photo clear. And most often it might be more of the movement of the subject than your hand. Rarely can I use that fast of an aperature on Cayman with that lens. But I still like to get the blurry backgrounds so a happy aperature setting I have found for myself, and with how my camera handles, and with Cayman's movements is 2.8f. I still get the blurry background (bokeh) and usually it is still wide enough of an aperature to allow for a fast shutter speed. And shutter speed brings me to the other factor that helps the sharpness quality of a picture. The faster the shutter speed the quicker it will be to freeze movement without blur resulting in a more clear picture.

I hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

As a person who does not recommend dangling feet I gotta say those are THE cutest dangling feet I evah saw! I live about as dangerously as you. In fact, this comment is about as dangerously as I live. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristen! Your kid looks adorable especially wearing that "sweet" shirt. She looks harmless on camera. hahaha! I actually have kids at home. My twins (age 2) are really energetic. Our room would be a mess all day. Unfortunately, I only have time to clean up when they're sleeping. I'm going nuts but I love them. My only problem is carpet stain. Carpet stains are really hard to remove especially if it’s severely stained. That's why I a always contact our nearby cleaning services, Long island based. Coz' I'm a busy mom and I don't have time to scrub to remove the stain. Those cleaning services in Long Island are really the best! Well, thanks for the enjoyable post Kristen.