Empty Cradle

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Today is a tough day! It is a day a mother and father will say their final good-byes to their baby girl that they lost to this world. They will place her in the ground and wait for the day they will be with her again in Heaven.

For the last week, posted on my sidebar, I have spoken of our dear friends, Nick and Valerie. Valerie was only a few short weeks away from delivering their second daughter, but an auto accident took the unborn baby's life.

I keep thinking about what great parents Nicholas and Valerie are. Their two daughters would have been just a little over a year apart in age. Nick and Val would have handled that kind of active attentiveness with such finesse and great balance. And they would had a blast while doing it!

I have thought about all the things Valerie and I have talked about in the past couple months as they prepared their home for the arrival of their baby girl, Miranda Lyn Irene. All the enthusiastic stories and dreams Valerie shared with me about watching Miranda play with her big sister, Ashalyn and planning play dates with Cayman...all those conversations came back to me.

It feels like this can't possibly be real.

I thought about the day when the accident happened. What was it like for them when they received the news that Miranda did not survive?

I remember what it felt like when we received the heartbreaking news that our unborn baby girl's chance of surviving outside of the womb was unlikely. For awhile we grieved like we had lost her. It was the darkest time in my life.

It was a time...

when there were more tears than words...

more questions than answers...

What Nick and Val have experienced is even worse. They must figure out how live and go on without Miranda by their side.

In those kind of moments it is hard to believe that a good, gracious God would allow us to hurt in that kind of way.

I do not have the answer to why God allows this kind of pain and tragedy to leak into the lives of those that faithfully walk with Him. I do know that everything God sets His hand at work on it can turn out more amazing than we could ever dream.

Miranda's life in this world may have been short, but I believe her story is one that God is working on to turn it from tragic to beautiful.

Sometimes we have to trust Him more than we can explain Him.


Please allow this dear family to enter your prayers today. They need the kind of strength that can only come from a higher power.

11 Showin' Comment Love:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kristen. I am so sorry for your friend and her loss. And I'm sorry for all of the dark times you've been through. I'm thinking of you all today and praying. Praying. Praying. Hugs.

Shannon said...

I have no words. My heart just groans and aches for this family...praying for God's peace and comfort to envelope them today and in the days to come.

Diane said...

My heart aches for your friends loss of their baby daughter. They will be in my prayers today and the days to come.

Diane, Tyler's mom

Cindy said...

Prayers and Love to Val and Nick and their families!!! Love you guys!!!

Chris said...

Well said! May God grant them peace and healing!

Katie said...

I have been praying for them since seeing your sidebar. I wasn't sure the time to write this, but I feel led to.

We lost a baby, a girl, in between our oldest two. She had Turner Syndrome. I was 11 wks 2 days pregnant. She was gestated at 9 wks 1 day. I still feel the pain. BUT today I trust that God had more plans for her in heaven than he did here on earth. Did it make the pain easier...no. But when a wise man told me that my daughter was anxiously awaiting my arrival in heaven and she, like my daughters when I get them from school, cannot wait to show me all the joys that eternity will bring. I am comforted knowing that she is there watching over me. I think of her often. Especially on Good Friday every year.(I had my DNC that day 2004)

I cannot begin to imagine your friend's pain. I never held my baby in my arms. I never got to physically see her or say good bye. I know that her face will remained etched in their memories forever. I am so sorry for their loss. My heart goes out to them. I am here for her if she ver wants to talk.
I pray that the Lord will bring them peace and comfort and wrap HIS arms around them and lt them know HE is there.

Beth said...

I am so sorry for their loss - words cannot convey it...It is a sad week, it seems. Thinking of you all as you lay that sweet baby to rest....

Josephine said...

I can't even imagine how this poor family must feel...I'm just about crying and I don't even know them. I pray that they will be comforted during this difficult time.

Jennifer said...

Praying for your friends. :(

Lisa Christine said...

Hoping that they may find peace through their strong faith.

-Lisa

Jill S. said...

Praying for all of you!