A Good Day

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Today is going to be a good day.

It is a day that has been marked on the calendar for the last couple weeks. I've looked at this day, counted down to this day, but quite honestly, have dreamed of it far longer than just the last two weeks.

Today I will drive to the airport and pick up my very good friend Jill and her son Matthew.

Matthew is only two months younger than Cayman and eye-catchingly handsome.

Jill and I love to joke and toss around the dreamy idea that someday Cayman and Matthew will marry and we will be in-laws to each other! We will be the kind of in-laws that will go shopping together, plan Saturday afternoon barbecues, and think of clever things to do that will drive our kids crazy.

The only problem is, Jill lives in Nebraska and I am in Ohio. So we have a few location details to work out but other than that we have decided that Matthew and Cayman are betrothed.

Listen to how perfect they are for each other...

Both were born with hydrocephalus and the most romantic part is Matthew has an extra pair of ribs and Cayman was born missing a pair. They are a perfect match!

In all seriousness, we do not know what the distant future will be like for our kiddos, but keeping room for silliness and "normal" dreams makes life fun.

When Jill and I "met", we were both pregnant with our hydrocephalic babies. We were walking the very scary and unknown future together. I have wondered at times, if it was harder for Jill because she is a labor and delivery nurse. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.

But it was during those tough times, that our friendship was born. There is great camaraderie in pain.

I would not want to walk this journey without Jill's friendship. Her encouraging words, witty sense of humor, or just her listening ear has made my days brighter.

So what makes today more special than all of our days talking on the phone, emails, facebook chatting, or blogging?

Today, Jill and I get to finally meet face to face for the first time!

Yeah, it's going to be a good day!



***when I return I will share pictures!

13 Showin' Comment Love:

Diane said...

I am so excited for the 2 of you. Enjoy your time together!!

Diane, Tyler's mom

Jill S. said...

Awwww.....

You are sweet! I CANNOT wait!!! I even dremed about it last night (and I ussually don't remember my dreams!) I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I'm just pacing around my house as giddy as can be. I can hardly wait for my plane to leave. My only regret...it's not long enough. I am already planning my return trip!

Michelle said...

I am soooo jealous! :-) If school weren't starting tomorrow for Owen's sister, I might have made the drive out to Kristen's too! I hope you two have a wonderful time and someday we will all meet together!

Katie said...

YAYAYAYAYAY!

I am so happy for you guys. Jill IS wonderful and a great help.

I hope you guys have a great time!

Looking forward to the pictures.

Amy J. said...

OK...so that rib coincidence gave me chills. How awesome that you two get to meet! I can't wait to see photos and hear about your times together! Have fun!

Grandma said...

Does Grandma need to come and take care of the little cuties so the moms can visit????

Sara said...

That is awesome! I was just thinking about you while i was in ohio today and thought about how nice it would be if we could get together and maybe go for lunch while I am in Ohio, of course with our amazing kids!

Sherri said...

I never put the rib thing together...that is really amazing! Can NOT wait to see the photos of you two together. Have a wonderful, wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

I am in tears for you...what a great day it will be. And I love this: "we do not know what the distant future will be like for our kiddos, but keeping room for silliness and "normal" dreams makes life fun." You are so right. I hope you have a perfect day.

Lisa Christine said...

I'm with Michelle....we all need to get together and visit :)

I wish I could have joined in the fun, but Elisabeth wouldn't have enjoyed a long plane flight with her sore, post-op, stitched up bum!

Have fun, have lots of laughs, and make sure to post lots of pictures of the little love birds (Cayman and Matthew).

Stryker Local Schools said...

Kristen,

Enjoy! I have started reading Jill's blog through yours. God has provided a wonderful friend to walk through this time together. Both Cayman and Matthew are adorable and I can't wait to see their "engagement" pictures!

Sue E. said...

Hi Kristen...sounds like you will have a great time...it is nice to have someone to 'walk' this journey with you!

Anonymous said...

We hope u guys enjoy ur time together!! We sure had fun getting together with you guys the other night!!
Love ya,
valerie