Dreaming...

Monday, July 13, 2009

of a dining room table
to fill my
empty dining room.

When I found THE dining table that I wanted, I took note of its measurements, cut strands of yarn and laid them down on the floor, outlining where the table would go. Since our dining room is a pass through room, meaning you walk through it to get to another room, the yarn layout was to measure how much walking space around the table there would be. But I confess, I mainly did it to dream about it sitting in that empty space. If I saw anyone headed toward the dining room, I cheerfully called out, "Don't walk on my table!"

The table Mike and I have shared our meals around since we got married is very old but very dear. It use to be in my parents' house when I was growing up. They bought it at an auction. That table has provided many family meals for generations. All the marks and scuffs on it reveal the activity it has had in its life. Those scratches are a tangible reminder of all the wonderful memories we have had around that table.

I don't have to dream about having a dining room set of my own for too much longer. This past Saturday, Mike bought me one for my birthday! It arrives on the 27th!

At the checkout counter the salesman asked if we would like to purchase the 5 year warranty with it. If any dings and scratches were to occur, the purchase of the warranty would cover the cost of repairing them.

I begged Mike to not purchase it. I told him that in years to come, I want my table to show that there has been many gatherings around it. The dings and scratches will joyfully remind us of all the meals, games, and conversations we had around that table.

Mike smiled at me and replied, "You're so right!"

11 Showin' Comment Love:

Beth said...

LOVE IT!! And it is so true!!!!!!

Stephanie said...

What a birthday. Sounds like Mike treats you the same way you parents did. I Can't wait to see pictures.

Katie said...

Funny...I took a picture of our table months ago, and never posted it. We have outgrown our table 2 kids ago. We NEED a new one, but the budget won't permit. SO...we sit at a 4 chair table with an additional chair(Eli) and a highchair(Lilah)

We are desperate for a 6-8 person table. THAT is in MY dreams!

Congrats on the table. I look forward to seeing pics of it!

The Bontragers said...

First of all, I want to send my very late, but very sincere and happy birthday wishes :)

Secondly, I remember your kitchen table at your mom and dad's (if it's the one you're talking about :) And thank you for your perspective on the dings and scratches - I don't think I'll ever look at them the same again!

The James Family said...

I LOVE IT!!! It will be perfect!

bridget said...

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the pics either, as we have been looking for a new dinings table and can't find the one I want.

Diane said...

I am glad to hear that you had a good birthday. Too bad you couldn't enjoy your table on your birthday, but I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Diane, Tyler's mom

Lisa Christine said...

So true! My table has a lovely 'A' carved into it.....can you guess who did that!?

And my mom's piano has 'Lisa' lovingly carved into it (which I thought of immediately when I saw the 'A')

I can't wait to see your new table! Please oh please post pictures right away!

Also....I couldn't help but notice a new and private blog listed on your profile page....this has me curious :) Are you inviting anyone? Or is it strictly private?

Sarah M said...

You made a little story about getting a new table so real and beautiful! I love how much you care about the little and big things in your life.

And I'm with everyone else-can't wait to see how it looks once you finally get it in your dining room!

Ann said...

I love that you have your table mapped out on the floor with yarn. I'm so excited that you are getting your table. And I absolutely love your heart behind the nicks and dings on the table. What memories they will be!