Lots of Updates

Friday, August 29, 2008

I confess...I've been a blog slacker.

I have lots of updates...some good, some not so good.

~

I'll start with the one that I am the most excited about. For a week straight Cayman has slept through the night. :o) That means she has slept for 6 or more hours straight!! One night she actually went 9 hours. My body doesn't seem to know how to react to the extra sleep. Strangely, I seem to be more tired from getting more rest...go figure.

~

Cayman had a vision screening done. Her vision development is behind. One eye seems to be working better than the other one. It's been recommended for us to return to her Ophthalmologist for a further evaluation of this.

~

Wednesday night Mike received a phone call from work calling him into an unscheduled meeting that next morning. The last several weeks the company has been making some cut backs resulting in many of the employees being laid off. The economy is rough right now and the auto industries are often the first ones to feel it. We had hoped that Mike's position (management) would be safe but after the meeting he returned with the news that his position was terminated and he was laid off permanently. Our insurance will continue to carry us for another 2 more months.

Lots of questions swirl our my minds.

Why God, did you have us move 200 miles 8 months ago to take this job and it turn out like this? How will this affect Cayman's care? Will Mike be able to find another job in the next 2 months? Will we have to move? Maybe this will lead to a better job for Mike? Maybe one that is closer to home. What is it You have planned, Lord? This sure seems like crappy timing for this to happen.

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

"We know"...tough words, but true. It feels like life just yanked its rug out from us leaving our confidence in what we know or do not know shaken, but we have words of certainty to fall back on. God's still the same to us...He's faithful. We're putting our trust in that He has a plan in all this. We know we are not promised a life without tragedy, crisis, hardship, and suffering. Not even Jesus had paradise here. God does not always do what we wish. We wonder at times what God is doing...and sometimes wonder why God is NOT doing some things. But in the end we trust…not because God gave us what we wanted…but because He gave us what we needed. We realize that in our humanity our vision is severely limited compared to His divine wisdom. Our faith is in God..not in our ability to explain why such things happen.

In the meantime, Cayman and I are enjoying our extra time with Daddy. We went for a long walk together, had a movie night, and played the Wii. With Mike home and on our sleeping schedule he has been a great help to me with Cayman. So how have I occupied my free hands?

Crocheting!

I taught myself how to knit several years ago and have wanted to learn how to crochet too. I've attempted it different times but could never master it until recently. I use the word "master" lightly though. Here is my first crocheted beanie hats.

11 Showin' Comment Love:

MJLRosebrook said...

Oh Kristen, how stressful. I can't imagine. Our economy is so scary for everyone right now and even more scary when you're in a situation like yours and ours.
Take care and I will continue to pray for you!
Jess

Sherri said...

Kristen- those hats are so cute...they make me wish Miles was a girl!!! :) I'm going to email you right now.

Anonymous said...

oh my!! We want you guys to know that we're praying heavily for you guys & we're sorry that you have to deal with more things like this... keep your chins up...we definitely empathize & we believe that God IS as faithful... And what a blessing that you guys are able to see that this might just be God's (unconventional) answer to your prayers. XOXO! We love you guys!!

Jennifer said...

Kristen, I can't imagine the stress this puts you in right now. I am absolutely praying for you! The hats are SO cute!!

Shannon said...

Wow...I'm sorry to hear about the job situation, but so encouraged at the same time to hear how you've placed such certain trust in God. How hard in such uncertain times! I'm praying for you, confident that God will provide for your future and give you hope. I wish I could hug you for real, but this will have to do! Please keep us updated! We're also praying about Cayman's eye exams...!

I also love the hats. You inspire me to learn how to knit and crochet! (I can crochet a chain, but that's about it!)

Kristen, I'm so thankful for the opportunity to get to know you and your sweet family via your blog. God has ministered to me and to my two girls through your words, and it is a blessing to us to be able to participate with you through prayer. Love you guys!

Lisa Christine said...

I can completely understand the fear and stress that comes from job layoffs. Donald was laid off from his job when Alexandra was 2 months old. It was a very scary time...but worked out to be a huge blessing. He was home with Alexandra that entire first year of her life. Then, the very week that unemployment was going to end, he got a call from his former employer and they hired him back on. It was an opportunity for him to spend time bonding with Alexandra and to get comfortable with being a first time dad. We say now that if only we had known all along that he was going to be hired back, it would have been a lot less stressful. He still works at the same place...but there are often talks of layoffs and we are always a bit nervous that it might happen again. Mostly because of insurance. Now that we have Elisabeth we need insurance more than ever...the same as you with Cayman.
Kristen, I will pray fervently that your family will be watched over at this time. That you will find joy in the time that you get to spend together and that Mike will be guided to a job that will provide in everyway for your sweet family. My thoughts are always with you and Cayman.
Warmly, Lisa

Jill S. said...

Kristen,

Sometimes it feels like when it rains, it pours, huh! I'm keeping you guys in our prayers. I can't imagine how scary that is for Mike to not have employment. Your faith in the Lord is amazing! It's what keeps us afloat and I can't imagine how hard it must be for unbelievers to not have that "life-ring" to grasp onto. Please hang onto Jesus, he'll provide; and not always in the way we expect. Please keep us updated! We're praying!

Sherri said...

About the bebe pod vs. bumbo- I would imagine that they are pretty much the same thing. I know there was a huge safety recall on the bumbos awhile back. People would put their baby in a bumbo up on a table and get mad when it fell down...duh!
Hope you all had a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow! A week straight of sleep for you :) Sounds great to me. I am so glad she is to this stage of life. It makes life easier for you. I am so sorry to hear about Mike's job! I will be keeping you in my prayers. It is so uplifting to see someone think it will work for the good. God is always in control and He has a plan. Your eyes are on Him and He will bless you for that!
Hope

Stephanie said...

Over our 30 years of marriage we have had many experiences with layoffs and job changes. I always said Heavenly Father I want to learn this lesson so I never have to experience this trial again. Well, he had different a different plan. I can only tell you that I have learned it will be alright.
Mircles have come. Our 4th child was born with spina bifida. So I do understand the stress and concern for being able to have good medical care. Miracles have always come and she has been well cared for. Prayers for you to see the windows of Heaven open for you and you to continue to feel the deep love Heavenly Father has for you.

Sarah M said...

Congrats on the sleep. It is amazing how much more tired you are but I think it is your body going, "Wow, we really needed that!"

So sorry to hear about the job. But at the same time, looking foward to how God will provide and show Himself in your lives this time!