Our Apartment

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Each day we have gotten closer to getting settled in. It's taken some time. It's incredible how a tiny little baby controls about every minute of each day and well..nights too. There's still more unpacking to do, but at least the main room is finished...the living room. It always feels like home once our pictures are hung on the wall. It's like the signature to an artist's painting. I'm sure you can tell Daddy had some influence on our decor. :o)

There is not possibly another thing we could squeeze into this living room. Our house we moved from, our family room there was very large. I had to make sure my glider chair fit though. That's where Cayman and I spend a lot of our time cuddling.

I'm excited to have a gas fireplace. The landlord said it's more for ambiance than it is for heat. But either way I'm excited! Once I get a chance I'm going to whip out my knitting needles and make our own Christmas stockings for the mantle! Mike has learned that it is not strange for me to think about Christmas anytime of the year. It's my favorite holiday and I Christmas shop all year round. My mom is at total influence here. Growing up, it was not uncommon for Mom to have our Christmas tree up in October...and that was just our main tree. She had a separate Victorian tree for herself in another room. We were aware that this was not the norm for most people. And to make sure the neighbors did not think we were crazy we were found, at times, running through the house to shut the tree off if they were driving by. A bit strange I am aware, but I can definitely say there was no "hum-bug" spirit in Mom at Christmas. She made it fun!! I am sure that is why it's my favorite holiday.

My next project is hopefully decorating Cayman's room. We're not allowed to paint here so I've gotta come up with some creative ways to make white walls look girly and fun. Anyone got any clever ideas? Perhaps wall stickers?

16 Showin' Comment Love:

Angela said...

Yea! It looks so nice, Kris! I've lived in my place for 6 months and my picture frames are still empty, propped up against the wall haha
As for Christmas trees...it runs in the family and it cannot be helped!
Case in point:
Linda, Aunt Carol, myself and Grandma have one or more of the following:
1.More than one tree.

2.Remove items purely to put up "seasonal" items.

3.Play carols while still running the air conditioner.

4.Own at least one random, gaudy holiday clothing item (Elf Shoes says it all!)

5.Have empty packages wrapped for asthetic purposes only.

....and that's the short list :)

Love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ang

Jennifer said...

The place looks great!! Wall stickers are great!! They come off so easily! Also, we hung the "comfoter" (which is NOT very comforting) that came with Savannah's crib set up on the wall. It looked really pretty. A border at the half wall might look good too!!
I love Christmas too! Brian says I'm a big kid when it comes to Christmas. We've spent the last two Christmases with my parents, but we still decorate our house even though we aren't going to be here. :) We have about 10 rubbermade tubs FULL of Christmas stuff....and that's after we "condensed" last year. ha ha

Anonymous said...

The first sign of frost SCREAMS "DECORATE - CHRISTMAS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!!!"

Ann said...

Can you put holes in the wall? When we lived in our apartment we painted letters that spelled out JD's name to add his touch to the room. It looked really cute.

Anonymous said...

You can find letters now in most craft depts. that are very light weight but nice looking - wouldn't take a regular nail to hang them - tell Daddy that the letters would spell "Cayman" and not Go Bucks :o)

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures ... the cutest part though is under the jungle gym!!!! I just fall in love all over again every time I look at that adorable baby girl!!! Being a grandparent is wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Another SPECIAL time I love is my children's birthdays ... someone's is coming up... what is on your wish list Sunshine?

Jill S. said...

Kristen,

Yeah! Your apartment looks awesome!! As for decorating, I love wall words; so much so i sell them! (uppercase living). Fun stuff and they have cute things for baby rooms,and it's pretty inexpensive, but, if your apartment isn't long term, I would do the wood letters. uppercase living words come off and don't ruin walls, but are hard to re apply (it can be done, just tricky) Anyway, I know like either walmart or menards sells cute stick up and peel off border. It's fairly inexpensive, too and not committing! Have fun decorating!!

Jill

Shannon said...

One of my kicks lately is getting little shadow boxes (not with glass on the front...Target has some) and putting fun things inside to display. Jennifer (one of your other readers) and I decorated our church nursery using some and putting some stuffed animals inside.

I think she has some pictures up on her blog, one of her very first posts (if I remember right...) Too fun! I love decorating, even though I'm not usually very sure of my abilities in the area. :o)

Anonymous said...

Love your apartment!

Lisa Christine said...

I am so happy for you. It must feel good to be settled in your apartment. How does Cayman like it? I can't wait to see what you come up with for her bedroom.

And I love your Christmas spirit! My mom always went above and beyond (but perhaps not quite as much as your mother. Our house became a winter wonderland...completely transformed. What wonderful memories. So knit away! Your stockings will look lovely on that fireplace :)

Anonymous said...

Heres an idea for Cayman's room. I saw a craft on Michaels.com where you buy a square piece of foam (available at their stores) and glue your favorite 12 x 12 in piece of scrapbooking paper to it. Then glue a matching ribbon around the side edges. On their website they them hung in sets of three side by side or 4 in a square. Very cute and not to mention easy to change for the season.

Anonymous said...

Everyone made fun of me when I wanted to watch fa-la-la-la-Lifetime's Christmas movies last weekend...and I like a good Christmas carol any time of the year! I haven't converted Sam yet though.

Beth said...

It looks GREAT!! Ideas for Cayman's room - you can buy (or make if you're crafty) puffy type things to hang on the wall - this is what I did in our apt when we had Bella b/c we didn't want to have to repaint when we moved! I'm sure it will look great when you get it finished - can't wait to see pictures!

I put my Christmas tree up the first of November last year and likely will again this year since my mom will be here for Brooklyn's birthday and if I wait - we likely won't put one up because the new baby is due Dec. 12th! I too love Christmas!!!!

Hope Cayman is having a good week - love all the recent pics of her - she is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

okay...so, I, being the preschool teacher I was, strongly suggest going to walmart in the craft aisle and buying the wooden letters and painting them to match your bedding decor and writing Cayman's name!! Those are the first letters you are supposed to introduce to your children and at an early stage in life. A print rich environment is very important in early literacy believe it or not and can come in as simple ways as their name in their bedroom!! Then take it and attach a ribbon about half an inch thick to hang it. Say your colors are pink and brown (,y dream nursery, minus the ohio state!!) paint the letters pink and then find a nice plain brown ribbon to attach and then hang on nails. If you cant use nails on the walls the clear thumbtacks barely leave a hole and work great too!!!! I so wish I could do a nursery for our baby, but right now we are in a one bedroom....ugh!!! Hope that helps a little!!
Love ya,
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Hanging fabric wall to floor is a popular trend on TLC shows when they cannot paint. There are many stick-on borders and stickers that remove easily! If you cannot use nails or tacks, there are the 3M hooks and strips that remove rather easily for pictures, letters,etc. Also I saw recently at a party store that there were huge wall murals you could buy that cover the wall and transform a room into a castle, princess room, etc. They are removable and relatively inexpensive and can be put up with like 3M strips or something like that.