Happy Birthday....to ME!

Friday, July 11, 2008

I'm 27 years old today. I've always considered 24, 25, and 26 to be the mid-20's age. I'm officially pushing 30 now!! I enjoy my life! I love my family, my in-laws, my home I share with Mike and Cayman, and the friends we have! There's very little I want and even less that I need. My life is very satisfactory! I'm sure there is many things I could come up with that I WANT. Focusing on what I have in life is the key to being content in every situation.

...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or
hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13

I came across these steps from Lloyd-Jones'
book On Spiritual Depression that gives some helpful steps to arrive at this blessed condition.

Know these things:
1. Conditions are always changing, therefore I must obviously not be dependent upon conditions.
2. What matters supremely and vitally is my soul and my relationship to God--that is the first thing.
3. God is concerned about me as my Father, and nothing happens to me apart from God. Even the very hairs of my head are all nu
mbered. I must never forget that.
4. God's will and God's ways are a great mystery, but I know that whatever He wills or permits is of necessity for my good.
5. Every situation in life is the unfolding of some manifestation of God's love and goodness. Therefore my business is to look for this peculiar manifestation of God's goodness and kindness and to be prepared for surprises and blessings because 'His ways are not my ways, neither His thoughts
my thoughts.'
6. I must regard circumstances and conditions, not in and of themselves therefore, but as a part of God's dealings with me in the work of perfecting my soul and bringing me to final perfection.
7. Whatever my conditions may be at this present moment they are only temporary, they are only passing, and they can never r
ob me of the joy and the glory that ultimately await me with Christ.

These fresh, renewing thoughts have been particularly meaningful and helpful to me in the rough times with Cayman's medical scares.

How did all these deep philosophical thoughts sneak into what is suppose to be my birthday blog?!

About my birthday...

Mike took me on a date last night for m
y birthday while Grandma Sue and Aunt Sam babysat. We ate at Abuelo's and then went Putt-Putt. If you don't count all the re-do's Mike let me have, then I won by 2 strokes! :o)

Here's a trip down memory lane. This is me with my Pac-Man cake at my 5 year birthday!
I must have really liked Pac-Man. Check out the table covering too.

10 Showin' Comment Love:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to my "daughter"! Time really flies by, but you are such a wonderful woman and it has been a joy to watch you grow into a wonderful mother also!

Have a great day!
Love and prayers
from your "second mom"

Sherri said...

Happy Birthday, Kristen! Thanks for sharing all the lessons God has taught you. I'm sure if you are like me, most of the important lessons have been learned within the last year. Enjoy your day! P.S. The pacman party looks awesome!!

Lisa Christine said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! I wish I would have known ahead of time so I could have sent you a little something.....hmmmm....I think I still might :)

I love all your thoughts and agree with them 100%! You are an amazing woman and mother, and inspiration to us all.

Welcome to the upper-20's club!

Enjoy your day!!!!

Ann said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you got a date with Mike yesterday. Enjoy!

Jill S. said...

Kristen,

Happy birthday!! So glad you got some couple time. Thank you so much for the devotion. It was exactly what I needed to read. I may steal some of it, just so you know!

You're still you, just wait till you turn 30 (i did while matthew was in the nicu) Then you will officially feel OLD!! Ha!

Jill

Shannon said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :) Hope you have a great day! Thanks for sharing the things God is teaching you...HE encourages me through you so much, so I hope you'll keep sharing! :)

Glad you got a date with the hubby...enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

oh darn!! Last night I was thinkin' first thing in the morning I have to leave Kristen a birthday wish...........then this morning and my forgetfulness played into effect and my afternoon consisted of Nick and I taking Lindsay's son Trey, my sister's 3 kids, the 3 kids I nanny for, and the 2 neighbor boys to Pettisville to play kickball and at the park, walk to Sunday's Parler to eat and then back to the house I nanny at for an afternoon in the pond. Now they are all resting and I am finally able to sign on to wish u the BEST day possible!!!! I'm sure this will be one of your favorite birthdays having Cayman to cuddle with!! Hope it's great!!
Happy Birthday a little late into your day!!
Love ya!
Valerie

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST MOMMY EVER!

The Donald said...

That pacman cake will go down in history as one of the coolest cakes ever. I saw the notice on myspace it was your bday yesterday. Hopefully you and Mike can go out for a great dinner and a fun movie. So.....happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!

Sara said...

Happy Birthday!!!