???Shunt Failure???

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Cayman's shunt functionality is not looking good. The Neurosurgeon dialed the valve down to the lowest setting. If the shunt is working this should start to drain the fluid quickly...quickly means seeing a difference within 24 hours. It's been 7 hours so far and there is no positive signs yet that the shunt is working. Cayman has been so sad...crying a lot. She keeps rubbing her eyes with the back of her hand. This is probably because of the extra pressure she feels in her head. So this is the doctor's plan: He changed the shunt setting and we go back to see him tomorrow morning. If there is no signs that the shunt is working then it will be Shunt Revision #2 for her :o(.

A room at the Ronald McDonald house opened up just today so we gratefully slipped into that vacant spot. Cayman is with us. It's nice that the doctor did not admit her to the hospital. Even if Mike and I are up with her every hour we are much more content having her with us.

At this point I've already accepted it that it appears her shunt has failed again! So I'm just ready to get the revision done and over with, and my baby can start to feel good again! Her head is already measuring 47 cm! Her soft spot is bulging, she is very irritable, not eating well, puffiness around the shunt valve, and sleeping a lot. All the same signs she had last time when the shunt failed. Her Neurosurgeon is a very caring man. His thoughts are that the shunt is plugged again but he wants to hold off taking her to surgery just in case it's not plugged and changing the shunt setting works. *sigh* So once again we're back here playing the waiting game and let me tell ya...IT SUCKS!!!

13 Showin' Comment Love:

Sherri said...

So, sorry to hear your little sweetie is having problems. I'll be praying that the revision will take care of things and you can have many, many months of just family time. Shunts are so frustrating! Miles still has a lot of fluid around his tubing and our Dr just want to wait and see, but he doesn't have any other failure symptoms. Glad to hear that you have such a good attitude about things. Your little girl can already tell at this age if Mommy is happy :) or not. Keep us updated. You will all be in my prayers!

Buckeye Adventures said...

I'm Kendra Smeltzer's cousin and my husband and I had a preemie in November - her name is Ava. We started reading your blog and love to hear the updates, seeing the beautiful pictures and knowing how we can pray. Together Ava and I, in the morning, pray for Cayman. She's a beautiful little girl - God has amazing plan! We will continue to pray for you, Mike and Cayman and for the Doctors involved.

Anonymous said...

Praying much for ALL of you.
Cheryl

Jill S. said...

Kristen,

Praying for you today, I only can imagine how frustrated you are. I'm so glad that the Ronald McDonald house had a room for you. Isn't that just the best to know that you have a place to stay! It takes one burden off your mind. And again, we're praying!

Jill

Anonymous said...

I will pray extra hard for Cayman! I hope she doesn't have to have surgery again.
Hope

Anonymous said...

We are sad with you guys...it is so tough knowing that Cayman is having to endure this & that this has to be a "waiting game" for the time being... We whole-heartedly pray for God to wrap each of you even tighter in His loving arms, that He would provide peace, relief, strength, joy & healing. We trust this IN THE POWERFUL NAME OF OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN, AMEN!!!
Please do not dispair, do not loose hope & think of what a strong baby girl God has given you...she is a marvel & a pillar for those who don't have faith to witness the Greatness of God through.
We LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!! xoxoxoxo And we're so proud of you!

Kacey Bode said...

I am so sorry!! That is so sad that Cayman is uncomfortable : ( I hope you guys get some sleep tonight and pray that her head is miraculously smaller tomorrow. If it is shunt failure again, is this going to happen every couple of weeks? I will be praying for you. Love, Kacey

Anonymous said...

Madison says "of course it sucks - you are in Michigan" :o)

Sara said...

wow...sorry to hear about that. My neurosurgan would of just booked my son for surgery and admitted him because with there being extra fluid on the brain the pressure could cause serious stuff. That kind of worries me that he wouldnt atleast admit her so they could monitor her. Kadyn has had 8 surgeries so far. its hard everytime.

Angela said...

Kris,

Just wanted to let you know that you guys are in my prayers today! I love you all :)

Ang

Beth said...

I was so hoping it would have been a "good" visit with the Neurosurgeon yesterday!! I thought about you guys all day and checked the blog like a stalker.

We're thinking and praying that Cayman gets to feeling better and they can get this fixed and under control!!!

Anonymous said...

I too feel like I have been stalking your page!! Waiting patiently trying to find out what is going on with Cayman. She has been in our hearts a lot these days and we continue to pray for God's healing hand! I smile everytime I think about her and cannot wait until the day we can introduce our little girl to her!! VERY SOON!!! We are also praying for you and Mike. You must be exhausted from all the lack of sleep and just constant worrying about your precious angel!! You are all in our prayers!!! We love you guys!
Valerie and Nicholas

Anonymous said...

As always, we're watching and praying. *hugs*