To Grandmother's House We Go

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

We went to my grandma's house today to visit her and my Great Aunt Betty. Lots of other family came over too!

  • Uncle Martin & Aunt Linda
  • Uncle Paul
  • Cousins-Ben & Laura
  • my brother-Uncle Tyson

Of course Cayman was the center of attention...lots of cuddles and awwww's. My Uncle Paul came by with his camera and took pictures of Cayman. I tried to make Cayman an appointment for her 2 month old pictures (which is tomorrow) with a photo studio but they were booked solid for a week because of Mother's Day!! My Uncle Paul takes great pictures so I was excited to hear he was coming by. He set up a little backdrop using Cayman's blanket and he took a few pictures for us. Check back soon for her 2 month old pictures!

Great Grandma finally got to hold Cayman! She's been waiting a long time for this! When she came to the hospital to visit Cayman in the NICU you could tell Grandma wanted to hold and snuggle her so badly.




Great Aunt Betty got her snuggles in too! It was so precious to see the two of them together. Aunt Betty's heart is failing and when she heard I was pregnant last summer she thought she would not get the chance to meet my baby. Cayman's due date fell on Aunt Betty's birthday. Of course that is not the day Cayman was born, but it's still special to me.

On our way to Grandma's house we needed to stop in at Sam's Club first. It's a little under an hour and a half drive to her house so we were trying to be quick so we could get back on the road. I had forgotten to put Cayman's hat on before entering the store. Truthfully I did not even realize until I saw a lady look at Cayman and shock came over her face. That part did not bother me because really this is not something a person comes across regularly so I can understand Cayman's head can be startling at first. I smiled at the lady in hopes to communicate a non-verbal "It's Ok" and make her feel comfortable with Cayman. But she quickly turned away without showing any change of attitude. That hurt. I'm such a proud Mama and want to show my baby off just as she is. I'm sure that woman did not know how to handle the situation and perhaps I embarrassed her when I acknowledged her. I would have liked it if the women would have smiled back and even asked questions about Cayman. We welcome questions. Questions lead to answers...answers lead to breaking the ice...and breaking the ice leads to a connection. My main message I want to make today is:

We welcome questions
We do not welcome pity



2 Showin' Comment Love:

Rachael said...

I am just as much a stranger as that lady was in the store, and I would like to think I would have smiled back. I think she is a beautiful little girl, and I love reading about the comings and goings of her little life. I hope and pray for you that soon it will be less going and more staying at home. Thank you for making me feel so comfortable, and welcome. You and your husband are truly an inspiration, the strength you two have astounds me. I hope you have a wonderful Mothers Day at HOME! Cayman could not have asked for a better mother, that is evident in the way you write about her. She is a blessed little girl, and you are blessed to have her....

Kacey Bode said...

I went through a faze, well sometimes I still do this but everyone that would stare at Ella I just wanted to punch in the face. I've had to get over it because Ella yells "hi" to everyone she sees while walking through Walmart. I still get the look at Ella look at me look at her look at me. I always want to scream "Yes young women can have babies with Down syndrome." I love when people ask me questions!! I guess I'm pretty used to the stares now. I totally know how you feel!!! I'm so glad you got to visit family today, glad the fam got some Cayman time!!!